• Creator
    Topic

Jon
    Participant
    Vessel Name: HannahSea
    Engines: 2

This might seem like a silly question but… I reciently had the oil changed and when I checked to dip stick for oil level it showed above the full line. My question is do you check the level with the dip stick fully seated or do you check without fully seating the dip stick to the lock position?
    Thanks,
    Jon Arnold

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dalton Bourne
    Participant

Checking the engine oil level should be done 3 or 4 times yearly with a dipstick. This is a boat engine maintenance process that ensures the optimal performance of an engine. It is to make sure the boat can continue to run smoothly.

Dalton Bourne
    Participant

Heat arises from the movements of engine parts. Too much heat can damage the vital components of the boat engine. With the help of oil, the heat is taken to the cooler parts. The engine parts donā€™t have to stay under extreme heat, so that’s the reason why you should check your boat’s engine oil.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

DUH…………………………………………………..Read the 1st thing I wrote in my response.

Tony

Jon
    Participant
    Vessel Name: HannahSea
    Engines: 2

Oil check

Tony
    Thanks for the reply. I read your article prior to submitting my question and I may need to go thru the process of draining the oil and refilling with proper amount and checking where it falls on the dip stick. But Iā€™m still wondering what the proper position of the stick is what checking the oil on a regular basis. Do I seat it all the way down to the lock position?
    Thanks
    Jon

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Engine Oil Capacity

Fully Seated……………………………

But, if want to really understand it all, read this article a few times.. More times than not, there is way more to the oil level in your engine / OIL PAN that what the mark on the dip stick says.

Oil Pan Capacities for Cummins Marine Engines

Tony

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.