• Creator
    Topic

Kevin Philips
    Participant
    Vessel Name: TBD - Made an Offer
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA 8.3 480CE

Hello all,

I have been browsing this forum and am very impressed with all of the information and guidance it has provided.  I put in an offer on a 2003 Tiara 3800 with Cummins 6CTA 8.3 480CE engines and it was accepted contingent on Oil Analysis and Sea Trial.  Unfortunately never made it to sea trial as the oil analysis came back with 150 PPM Iron in the starboard engine (port is only at 5 PPM Iron as reference since I know oil analysis is used as a reference over time and only one sample alone doesnt tell full story but as one engine compared to the other it is clearly high).  My Broker communicated the following to Seller:

“Wear indications show the Starboard motor as having severe issue, with a 150 PPM iron and other metals reflecting much higher than port readings.   It is the surveyors opinion that engine failure is just around the corner.  That, coupled with the rest of starboard motor attention needed has us taking a pause”

I have read up on all of the known issues with the 480CE dropping valves and needing to be reproped to match curve of 450,..and was prepared to swap out to newer heads and do the reprop,..so not sure if I should walk away or not.  Really like this boat but seller isn’t willing to negotiate at all to cover any engine work.

Cummins Technician who took sample is still putting numbers together, but he believes it would be over $40K + for a rebuild, plus a little more to address other findings.

Am I crazy to still be considering this boat,..could it really be $40K, or would catching it before it dropped a valve and changing heads and rerpoping be able to save it from needed a rebuild?

I have attached the reports and welcome your expert feedback.

Thank you in advance.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Richard Dodson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SWAY
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3 480

My Bill

FWIW, on my 390 MY, dropped an exhaust valve seat. Took 90 hours to do the rebuild, 28 to swap the head on the other side. All was done in the boat and did not tear up the salon to remove the engine covers.  The bill for the rebuild was 22K, the head swap on the other side around 10K. 

stevenagodfrey
    Participant

First, I am not an expert.  4 years ago I was posting on this forum with fe of 2200 on a 6cta with 950 hours. Everyone needs to make their own decision. I proceeded with the purchased and with help of sbmar have replaced all the external components on the engines (aftercoolers, hoses, transmission coolers, alternators, oil pan heaters ). 350 hours down the road the engines jump to life. 

Kevin Philips
    Participant
    Vessel Name: TBD - Made an Offer
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA 8.3 480CE

Thank you!

Thank you Steve,..your run down of what you were able to do for $27K is definitely helpful!!

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

One more thing

My engines are 2004 builds.  My latest oil analysis on Iron is 25ppm on port and 30ppm on strbd.  The report shows 100ppm as the “warning limit”………

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

For comparison

KP,

I just had my new Cylinder Heads installed this off season.  My trusted mechanic charges $150/hr and the following took 90 hours:

Remove cockpit deck

tear down engines

replace existing heads with new spec heads.     

I bought new SMX raw water pumps and he installed them

Service both Aftercoolers and service strbd HX as the port was fine

install new heads

Re-assemble everything

re-install decking.  

belts, filters, oil, fuel filters on mains, trans and genset….. 

Total bill $27K

I would ask for a summary of what would be done for $40K.  If your seller is unwilling to negotiate then I vote move on to another boat.  We negotiated 2 years ago and our seller met us about 2/3 of the way.  Give or take.  We bought the 460 Dancer, have done a lot of work and are seriously enjoying it.  yes we spent a lot of money but we decided it was worth it as we are going to keep her and cruise the Great Lakes. 

Is the 3800 worth it?  That is going to be your decision.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.