• Creator
    Topic

Dalton
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA

I have cummins 6bta engines and the boat is new to me but a 1999 with 500 hours. Fluids have been changed prior to my purchase. While looking everthing over I saw a dipstick on the transmission and another T-Handle type thing. When i slightly turned it I heard some air pressure release.

What is this?

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dalton
    Participant

Great info guys!

So here is my model of trans

Hurth HSW 800 A2 2.0

As for that water puppy pump. I’m actually looking for something to pump out the oil from my 6BTAs, the trans, and even coolant from my generator so I can remove the heat exchanger. Do you recommend this pump for the job? It looks like just a standard bilge pump…?

Side note, found out my westerbeke 12kw generator isn’t sucking any sea water at all. Only ran it for 2 minutes. So I guess the impeller is shot also.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Bill,

The ZF63IV was in my prior boat, a 6LP powered Albin28TE. Ā Currently I have the 330B’s w/220A’s in my 36 Chris Craft.

Funny that you and I probably went full circle if have this right in that you now have a single ZF63 in the 25TJ and had a pair of 220’s in the 31 Blackfin..?

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

Ken,

I have the same gear as you and Bob. Mine has the allen head tightenting instead of the T handle.

I just chaged the fluid on mine in Sept. I sucked about every drop out by using a piece 3/8″ fuel line attched to my water puppy pump.

When you remove the fluid filter you’ll see a tube that goes to the bottom of the tranny. Stick the 3/8″ fuel line all the way til it bottoms out and suck the ATF out.

Btw, next spring when I re-commission the boat I’ll drain the ATF out of the gear and begin using 15W-40W oil instead of ATF.

Regards, Bill D

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

That button is actually an allen head but like you said you have a T handle instead…

Under that cover is a metal mesh filter that is cleanable and reusable. Ā When I had my ZF63IV gear my method was to soak in mineral spirits, give it a swishing around, drain it out and then blow it out with an air gun. Ā Since the filter filters from the inside out I roll up paper towels and put the paper towels in the center hole and then blow the filter dry from the outside in. Ā This does two things. 1) keeps you from simply blowing from one side of the filter to the other, and 2) the paper towels allow you to see what you are blowing out of the filter and see when it is blowing clean and dry. Ā As far as fluid and capacity just check you manual or post your specific gear info. Ā Be sure to check the o-rings.

Ttranny filter components2012-04-25_19-05-23_899

Dalton
    Participant

Yes, thats it! But mine is a handle I can turn instead of that button.

Is this anything I need to be concerned with? (when changing fluids, etc)

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Look at the pic.. Is this what you are referring too?ZF 63-85 Filter Cover

Tony

Dalton
    Participant

It is new to me. I’m going through everything and fixing/changing and doing normal maintenance. I did get a notebook full of receipts and everything looks in order for the most part. But one thing I don’t know is when the aftercoolers were serviced if at all. It has 520 hours on the boat. So I do have a couple big things left to do.

Fix/replace starboard side riser and rebuild turbo

Take apart aftercoolers and hope for the best and service

Service heat exchangers just to be sure all is ok

(I used an inspection camera to look into exchangers and aftercoolers and just from that alone they looked fine)

And I’ve done all sorts of various things..bottom paint, zincs,etc etc

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Ken,

Report back with your specific gear (and pics if you can) and then we’ll go from there. Ā I think this is a new boat to you? How long have you owned it and do you know the real service history of the mechanicals?

Dalton
    Participant

Rob

Yep, this looks very similar to mine aside from that little pop valve and my T handle. But the rest looks the same or very very close.

So I’m confident this is exactly what you guys suggest but what do I do with this? is there any maintenance or something I should or should not do with it? or just leave it be and no need to even get it a second thought?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Ken I noted above that what you are describing sounds to me like a T handle installed on the filter housing cover, such as on the ZF 63/80/85 series gears. Ā But no doubt, as Bill asked, to know what specific gear you have and to see photos would clear this right up.

In this video you can see both sides of the gear, the dipstick side and the filter housing side. Ā The filter housing has the yellow service tag on it..

https://youtu.be/vYEukwBjPGk

Dalton
    Participant

Bill,

Yes I see the pop valve in his picture. I have no idea what trans I have to be honest. I’ll try to find out and take more pictures this weekend. I could understand a button/relief valve but what I’m describing is a little confusing. (a handle that has writing on the case that possibly says loosen/tighten)

Bill Desmarais
    Vessel Name: Extremist
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

Ken,

On Bob’s picture. See the little brass round looking “button” to the right of the dipstick next to the shifter lever? That is a 1-2 psi “pop valve” to relieve pressure build up in the gear.

All normal to have a slight “pooph” when the dipstick is lifted…

BTW, what gear do you have? A ZF 220A maybe ?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Filter housing cover

Dalton
    Participant

close up file

Dalton
    Participant

I found an image that looks Ā a lot like my engine room. Probably same boat/model etc. if possibleĀ zoom in to the trans area. You’ll see the red T handle but this isn’t the dipstick. The dipstick is on the other side. This particular handleĀ has some writing around it and like i said before, if i turn the handle there is some pressure or vacuum. Not sure which.

Dalton
    Participant

Yeah thats the dipstick but not the one I’m talking about. I will try to find a picture but if not i will take some friday when I’m at the boat.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Here’s a shot of the 63 series in my prior boat that had a red T handle disptick

Dipstick

Dalton
    Participant

ok I don’t have any pics of this area but I’ll get some this weekend. But why I am confused is the starboard side had a dipstick which just unscrewed. No pressure there and it was obvious it was just a dipstick. I turn around and look at the port side and I see a red T handle with some writing around it. Maybe something like “Tighten and Loosen” but I can’t remember. I barely turned it and the pressure came out for a split second so I stopped (not knowing what it is)

It seems the dipstick is on the left side (port) of the trans and this other T handle is on the opposite side. I’m going off memory from weeks ago.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Ken,

Negative pressure. Ā There is a slight positive pressure in the case as the heat builds, some air escapes thru the breather, upon cool down, a slight vacuum is created and when you pull the dip stick, you are hearing it nuetralize.

Post some pics of your setup…

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.