• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by John.
  • Creator
    Topic

matt.schaefer86
    Participant

I’ve been Searching the forums and haven’t seen the exact flow recommended for flushing the raw water side with pool acid.
    I’ve seen to use 10:1 ratio. Can someone comment on the Work flow?

How long to let it run through the engine. How long to let it sit and so on.

Thanks

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

John
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Puffin
    Engines: 270HP 6BTA

Matt,

This is a recent response I made in a trawler forum, on a post asking about Barnacle Buster, and a cheaper solution for a flush.

“I did a Barnacle Buster recirculating flush a few years ago. Works great and something you should do every once and a while. What I’ve been doing every year at the time I winterize the boat, is to soak the raw water system with a product called “Acid Magic”, about $20 a gallon. Acid Magic is a buffered phosphoric solution used to clean pool systems. Much less toxic than muriatic acid and easy on the skin. I just mix up a 10:1 solution in a 6 gallon jerry can, pour it into the top of the strainer (no issues with my SMX pump’s impeller), and let it sit for a couple of hours. If you’re doing a recirculating flush, you probably want to go with a stronger 4:1 solution. Flush with another 6 gallons of water and a box of baking soda to neutralize the acid, then another running flush with water for a few minutes. I then fill the RW system with RV antifreeze. That’s been keeping my system clean without the hassle of a recirculating flush. I should note that while I cruise and fish in salt water, I moved to a fresh water marina a couple of years ago. Recirculating acid flushes aren’t as critical for me as in the past.”

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

10:1 ( water to common Pool acid) is correct……Find the easy to follow instructions thru a google search for Rydlyme and you are good to go.. Same thing without the perfume and color.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.