• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by RicM.
  • Creator
    Topic

Martin Padgett
    Participant
    Engines: 2

The boat in question is a 36 or 42 jersey dawn. Most 36s come with 3208 cats at 320hp and most 42s have 6-71s TIB 485s. From my research they are 18/19knt boats. My question is it is even possible to get these boats to that 27/28knt cruise with the newer technology? I am also aware that some of the older hulls don’t perform well at higher speeds so any information there would be appreciated as well. Ultimately, I don’t think I would want to undertake a project like this if I couldn’t achieve at least that cruising speed while still having a reliable rig thats got some decent range to fish. We fish anywhere from 40 to 80 miles here depending on the time of the year, a 22kt boat means leaving at 2/3am and not getting back until 6/7 which is less than desirable – I’m looking for a tournament rig with highest cruising speed possible to still have reliability and range. In the future maybe even travel and fish who knows. Right now I’m averaging 250hrs a year but hopefully by a project like this happens it’ll be more. Thanks in advance.

I believe the 36 weighs 23,5K and the 42 around 31K both ending up at 10 degrees deadrise.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

RicM
    Participant

Repower

Did something like this conversation occur over on BoatDiesel.com a while ago? In any case, if that’s the boat you want, and those are the engines you want, go for it. Life is too short to own an ugly boat, or is it Life is too ugly to own a short boat? Something like that, in any case, keep us informed about your quest. I for one would very much like to hear more about this project. Believe me, I spent many hours pondering the same questions before I decided to learn to love my 6-71’s. Best of luck!

Martin Padgett
    Participant

I appreciate the input – exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. The drawback I see with going in on used boats in my price range with those performance #s is the power setups they have. The 43 viking would be perfect but I’ve read up about those 6v92s blowing every 1200 hrs or so @ 550hp, regardless of the interval they seem to consistently have problems – then the newer ones have the 680 Mans, I think thats a great motor but after seeing the bills that come from the 1200s that are on the boat I fish on, Man is down on the list of desirable power. Would love to be able to come across a 38 from the late to mid 90s, whatever year that was they stopped making them but they are hard to find and usually sell fast. If you repower anything you are planning on keeping it awhile, I’m fully aware you never get that back, after all my experiences boating I personally feel like a factory warranty is priceless. That piece of mind is worth it me. I’ll be interested to see what ends up coming up on the post though – I have yet to see a 42 jersey that someone has repowered but I have seen a few 36s that have 440 yanmars, and I think one with 8.3 cummins, just no #s. I saw on an old boat diesel forum that tony has done a 36? maybe years ago? – staying under 40ft and getting the performance #s I listed above would be my ideal setup.

RicM
    Participant

Probably Not Worth the Money

I have a 1993 Jersey Dawn III with fresh 6-71’s. It’s a great boat but with 1/2 to 2/3 load of fuel & water it weighs close to 38,000 lbs ( that’s from a travel lift scale). I did extensive research on a repower, including some consulting from this website, and I have to agree with Rob, a 40′ Ocean is what you are specifying here, so why not just buy one? Putting Cummins power in a Jersey will run you close to $150K, a little less if you do rebuilts, and you will never get that money back. The base boat will be $80-90K, so that puts you at close to $250K for a 30 year old boat by the time you put new electronics in it and redesign the helm station for the electronic controls. Are you going to leave those old fuel tanks in place? My 42 only has a 20 Gallon black water tank, are you going to want to replace that? Good luck, it’s built into the stringers.

My boat has pretty hard chines, which makes it nice and stable, but I bet it would pound like hell in head sea at 25 knots plus. Once you get going that fast you really need a fine entry in anything but pond flat water. The Jersey hull was not really built for that kind of speed, so yeah, it’s possible but how often would you actually be able to do it?

There’s plenty of newer, lighter boats with the specs you are looking for in the $250K price range and you don’t have to go through the pain of ripping a boat apart and putting it back together. Your choice, but it seems like the long way around to me.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yes, to make them faster does not coincide with making them better!

Never been in a 36 Jersey engine room, but the C series Cummins will require a few inches of extra room as to length and height compared to the 3208’s which is probably doable since the “under salon” engine rooms in these older sportfishes (like mine) are usually good on space.

Martin Padgett
    Participant

My weight #s may very well be off as I do not know exactly besides what has turned up searching, I think that weight on the 42 was from an nada guide. Anyway, we came in from a tournament last season and a 42 was next to us and I fell in love with the lines, I had never even heard of jersey at that time. I am really more interested in the 36 as I have a 40ft length restriction on my slip and would have to juggle that around if I went any bigger. As far as an ocean, the only time I fished on one we had one of those 4ft at 5secs days and there was way too many screws and washers in the cockpit along with accompanying cracks at the end of the day for my liking. I realize at some point you can beat anything to death but with my experience on one I wouldn’t buy one, I know some people love them – to each his own

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Why target a heavy tank like the Jersey Dawn if your need is speed? Don’t get me wrong, it is a great classic boat, I have two close friends with fine examples of the 42′. What you want to do is why most guys look at the Ocean Yachts, like a 40′ Ocean. I also think your weight estimations are more than a tad low. Here’s a recent post involving a friend’s inquiry to repower his 42. Hopefully Ric chimes in here…he is as knowledgeable of a boat owner as you’ll ever find and he knows the 42 quite well..

https://www.sbmar.com/community/topic/jersey-sportfish-reposer/

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.