• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Woo.
  • Creator
    Topic

Woo
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Obsession
    Engines: 6BTA5.9M3 (370) x 2

Hey team, I’m assisting a friend with the possible purchase of a vessel here in Australia.
    The broker/seller is claiming these “FPT Iveco” engines are Cummins based. I see no relation to a 4BT other than the bore/stroke dimensions are very similar.
    I’m very reticent to prove any positive feedback as these seem a bit left-field for my taste. Parts pricing and availability a question, and being electronic, who has the software to assist?
    I see exhaust issues, and the starboard engine has been replaced 5hrs ago due to a valve failure, I suspect the port side might be in for similar fate.
    Not seen the boat in person yet, these pics are all I have of the engine.
    Anyone here have any input or experience?
    A link to the Australian distributor is here if you’d like to take a look and give an opinion;
    https://thtsales.com.au/product/fpt-iveco-nef-n40-250-diesel-marine-engine/

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Woo
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Obsession
    Engines: 6BTA5.9M3 (370) x 2

Thanks Tony, you’ve confirmed my concerns.

I’ve already recommended that the prospective buyer walk away, and this reinforces that. I’m simply not comfortable recommending them.

Once again, thanks for your valuable input.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Fiat Power Train (FPT / IVECO) engines vs. a real Cummins engine

I do not need anything to answer your question accurately——————————–There is NO direct relationship to any Cummins engine as to parts interchange ability, support, or anything else that matters……………..Maybe about 15 years ago, due to the politics in Europe and “Fiat” lobbying ( they are “BIG-BIG”), in order for Cummins to stay in Europe, Cummins offred to shar certain mid-range engine patented very techincal engineering details to FIAT so they could build competitve engines in the 3-6 liter class… .. So you have FPT engines similar in sizes to some Cummins mid-range engines..

They are FPT products, not Cummins—————————Pure & simple..

Today in this counry, support is at best a C- .. Try and buy a complete seawater pump, a new turbo, an afterccoler service kit, or a complete hose kit———————Post again in a month and tell me what you found..

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.