• Creator
    Topic

david officer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: chick magnet
    Engines: qsm11

Thanks in advance for any help given. I have a 2004 Sea Ray 500 with QSM 11’s. I’ve always maintained the fluids myself and had no issues. I was short on time so I had a marina fully service the boat in the fall of 2020. I took off, drove approximately 6 hours then put her up for the winter. In the spring of 2021, I checked all fluids. Both mains were on the low level mark of the dipstick. The port transmission showed a small dab on the tip, while the starboard registered no oil at all when measured. I immediately contacted the service department, which they came over to top off the engines and transmissions. (There service report indicates they used 30 wgt Rotella in the transmissions)

We were in the process of selling the boat and the new buyer had both mains and the transmission oils sent for analysis. The starboard transmission oil was dark in color similar to engine oil. (Note, they have always been extremely clear previously) The report came back “starboard wear metals copper 76, lead 83 and sodium 74. They suggest inspecting for excessive bushing thrust metal which is at a severe level. The port transmission lead was also at a significant level at 64. The sale fell through which I am ok with, but am wondering if the fluid was not installed properly, could I have done damage by running several hours like I did? There could have been a very small amount in the bottom that didn’t register on the gauge, but am not for sure. Thanks for the help…

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

david officer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: chick magnet
    Engines: qsm11

Thanks

Thanks a bunch for the input. I too, was curious on the reverso and if oil was contained in the system. I will be talking to the yard in the next few days regarding topping off. I will be changing oil this week-end and again next week. Again, thanks for your response.

Dave

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

One other thought……….Ā  Depending on where the oil sample was taken from, you might have contamination from the reverso unit giving highly irregular results.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Any indication from the yard that came back to top off oil, how much they put in to top it off?Ā  I wrote some oil change instructions for my setup.Ā  480CE with 280IV.Ā  My steps included adding the last liter 250ml at a time to watch the oil level climb the dip stick.Ā  You might have had oil in there.Ā  It’s an optimistic guess though.Ā  Also Tony says that an individual oil sample is not very useful.Ā  Some kind of trend in oil sample would be more informative.

Where was the oil sample get taken from?Ā  Which oil was left in the reverso?

The other thing that came to mind is if you look at step 31 in the attached, I mention that it is recommended to run in gear for a couple of minutes to get the oil moving and leveled out and then let it settle and then top it off.Ā  Wondering if the oil level went down as a “settling” and they did not top it off.Ā  Again just a guess that is on the optimistic side of things.Ā 

Have you had the oil changed out a couple of times, verified the oil level and condition and then gone for a hull speed cruise and then checked the oil color and condition after that?

Your Sea Ray Systems Monitor would have been barking at you if the oil level in the trans was low or the pressure was not normal…….

Unless someone overrides me, I would change the oil a couple of times to flush things out and see what you get.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.