• Creator
    Topic

Alain planas
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ɖlidia IV
    Engines: QSB 5.9-425

Hi Tony,
    A very simple question: how to remove the impeller from the water pump on my QSB 5.9 ?
    See attached picture.
    Thank you !!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

John
    Participant

Hi,Ā 

Sorry, I had not seen Tony tips which give advice on impeller.Ā 

I’m going to buy the one that advises instead šŸ˜‚

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

My lube of choice

John
    Participant

Hi,Ā 

Which synthetic grease do you recommend?

To put it back?

TksĀ 

Anonymous
    Inactive

The bolt is typically the easiest. It is either going to be 3/4″ x 16 (Standard) or 16mm x 1.5 pitch (Metric).

The QSB raw water pump is located fairly high on the motor compared to other motors. So it is important to inspect the cam, wear plate and cover plate. If they appear to be well worn then it is best to replace as priming can be difficult as the pump has to lift the water further than most other applications.

Use plenty of grease when installing the new impeller. It lubricates the impeller for dry start up and makes it easier to install.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Roger Franklin Williams
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Sunlizard
    Engines: Cummins 5.9B

Easiest way, I have changed dozens is the bolt pulls impeller out. On reinstall use lots of lube and I pull vanes together using 2-3 wires ties around the impellar to reduce its size. Snip them off as you push impellar into pump housing. For sure clean up the pump before reinstall.

2 users thanked author for this post.

john
    Participant

You can also use a impeller puller. Looks like its been a while while with all the white calcified deposits. I would clean all that up before putting a new impeller in.

Justin Riege

Alain,

You can use a bolt or threaded rod to screw into the female threads inside the hub. As you thread in the bolt, it will push on the pump shaft and pull the impeller out. I believe they are 3/4 x 16 threads but I’m not 100% sure so make sure your bolt threads match and use grease.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.