• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by John.
  • Creator
    Topic

Joe Monaco
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Tunacious
    Engines: 3126 TA 420 hp

I see the Sherwood 17000 series for sale on line from around $35 to $70 a piece I ended up buying a 2 pack from sherwood $105 thinking the cheaper ones are probably inferior. Anyone know for sure?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

John
    Participant
    Engines: QSCs

Ya don’t say, LoL. This one had me looking at the entire HX system before getting to it since it was relatively new I didn’t even think about it. But once I tried to remove it and saw just the hub coming out….I knew it was the issue.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

The other thing to be aware about with impeller quality is there can be an issue with the bond between the center shaft and the impeller rubber bore and the impeller will not spin with the shaft.

scottbade
    Participant

I only use manufacture-brand parts for critical components. Here are a couple of examples for why:

On my last boat I had the seller change the impellers as part of the sale.Ā  I’m guessing he bought the cheapest he could find.Ā  I expect good impellers to last for 2 seasons (short seasons in the North), at end of 1 season with whatever the seller installed, one of the impellers completely fell apart.Ā Ā 

3 boats ago I bought third-party “cheaper” drive belts for my Cummins QSC motors.Ā  They immediately started to break down and throw black dust.Ā  I bought Cummins brand from sbmar and they were perfect.Ā 

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.