• Creator
    Topic

Brad
    Participant

I am installing a Siren 3 Pro boat monitoring system; I have twin 6CTA8.3 M-3 engines.  The monitoring system includes function to remotely report engine status (ON/OFF) and cumulative hours. I need to connect the monitor wire to a positive (+) terminal from an ignition-powered circuit – i.e. I want the unit to sense positive (+) voltage when the key is turned on.  My wiring harness is original – I’m planning connection to the PURPLE wire coming off one of the ignition key switches (https://www.sbmar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/B-C-Panel-wiring.pdf).  My understanding is RED is 12VDC+ FROM ENGINE TO DASH, PURPLE is IGNITION CIRCUIT.

I would greatly appreciate thought if there is a better terminal for the purpose.  Thanks – Brad  

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Appear you have boat builder wiring at the helm, not Cummins OEM.  Use your multi-meter or a test-light and find the switched 12 V.  (Look at the back of your VDO’s for the +)

1 user thanked author for this post.

Brad
    Participant

No Purple Wire?

Well I went to wire it up today – the only purple wires under my instrument cluster are two on the Synchronizer on/off switch…  My ignition keys are two wire – red & white. My stop buttons are two wire – red and colored for the side, brown on stbd.  None of the VDO guages had a purple wire running to them. 

I’m still looking for an Ignition ON tap to run the status and hour counter on my Siren Pro 3 monitor.

Thanks for your help.<br />Brad

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You got it right.  When I installed my redundant alarm system I tapped in for power for the buzzer units at the purple wire at the temp gauge that was right next door simply using a piggyback (aka 3-way).

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.