• Creator
    Topic

used2work
    Participant

Have Carver 405 with Cummins 6bta’s.  Seems that my gear cooler leaked in sea water and into the Hurth Tranny   So won’t stay in gear now.  Have checked around and had one quote of $3,000 JUST TO PULL IT OUT and RE-INSTALL !  NOT FIX IT.   I’m thinking that’s a little high?  Yes it will be a job to do this but $3,000?  I will take it to the transmission guy myself. Anybody think this is high? Thanks  

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Greg Bishop
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just one Moor
    Engines: Mercruiser 5.7 Mag MPI

Same here last year

A little late to the forum, but I had the same issue about 20 minutes after splashing last season.  I pumped out the old salt water /ATF about 2 hours after getting to my marina.  I bet I replaced the ATF 5 times and still was getting milk shake looking ATF out and low trans pressure a couple minutes after starting the engine.  I then did 2 flushes with diesel, then 3 more ATF to get rid of the diesel and see a nice cherry red ATF.  Pressure came back up and boat was good (for the most part).  Tony and Rob gave me some advice on this forum and had me replace the oil filter and o-ring with OEM product.  I won’t bore you with finer details of my psi loss adventure. Long story short everyone around my marina wanted to replace, and I got at least another year (and hopefully more) out of multiple transmission flushes.  

used2work
    Participant

Purchased thru.

Mr Cool.  Ordered once before. Fair price and quick delivery!

used2work
    Participant

Gear Cooler

Sure .       PT number. 3917117 is my trans gear cooler for my Cummins 6bta ….370hp. 

Alex
    Participant

Gear Oil Cooler make model part #?

Hi, used2work.

Can you provide the brand model/part number and source of the coolers you bought?

Following all of your advise and getting that 330 insurance policy.

Thanks

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

Knowing when

Gear oil and temperature are your best clues as to what’s going on in your transmission.  They should read very consistently.  <br />Old trick from stock car racing days is to rotate all your gauges so that normal operation points to 12 o clock, so you can tell at a glance if anything’s amiss.  When a cooler leaks, oil moves into the cooling water first, as it operates at much higher pressure than the raw water system, So you might see oil in your exhaust. Usually the first clue is noticing a slight increase in revs as the oil pressure drops, and the clutches slip.

1 user thanked author for this post.

used2work
    Participant

Yep

Some things are just OUT OF SIGHT, OUT OF MIND.

Thanks

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

A $330 insurance policy..

used2work
    Participant

New gear oil cooler

Since the gear oil cooler was the culprit on my starboard ( now replaced) I went ahead and ordered a new one for the port also. There is no way of knowing when one is leaking until it is TOO LATE.     IS THERE. ?????!!

The replacement cooler was $330 . If I had known it was going to leak ahead of time I could have saved THOUSANDS ! 

used2work
    Participant

Replace salty oil

Thanks Mike.

This was SALT WATER that got in and EVERYBODY seems to think it needs to be hauled and totally taken apart. I did drain out all the milky oil and replaced and then drained again and replaced.  It then stayed in gear for maybe 20 seconds. Supposedly having it pulled out this week and will find out the damage soon. B O A T.

Mike Uliasz
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Runnin' Down a Dream
    Engines: Cummins 6bta-M3 370hp

Throwing this out there. Have you tried changing the fluid to potentially fix the issue (probably have to do at least twice)?  

Get an oil pump out and give it a try, worth a couple $100 bucks.  Even if it doesn’t work, there will be oil in the tranny rather than the water mix and do the cooler at the same time.   

Memorial day is coming up, I can’t image many marine mechanics are available to jump on the job especially if you’re price shopping estimates.  I had a Shamrock with a PMC/Hurth? tranny that got water in it, no issues, just changed the fluid and it was fine. 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

IMO, a good tech that knows to stuff at $130 seems very fair to me. As to how long it takes–It is what it is!..

used2work
    Participant

WILL KEEP YOU IN THE LOOP!

I’ll be paying a company $130/ hour to pull it out and I will drive it to the repair shop and also return trip then they will re-install. <br />this should be interesting. B.O.A.T 💸

used2work
    Participant

Thanks but shopping.

Thanks Steve.  Had another guy come take a look at it and said 3 1/2 hours to take out and a bit longer to put back in.  I’m HOPING 10 hours total.. And yes WITH A BOAT, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMETHING . He is suppose to give me his quote in writing today. Still waiting.

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

One man’s perspective……..

I was just out at our boat yesterday doing some work.  The universal truth is that jobs take longer than you think they will.  That translates directly to higher cost when you pay someone to do the work.  When I saw the quote for an oil change from our marina(mains and trans) I was thinking “It can’t cost that much…..”  So I did it myself.  I learned that it takes time.  More time than I had thought.  And time = money.  Oh yeah and my arthritic body was telling me ALL ABOUT IT for 2 days after that. 

I have V-Drives in a relatively tight engine compartment in my boat.  If I were to have my trans taken out and put back in I would figure that some things would need to be drained, a whole lot of stuff would need to be removed to get them out of the way for the lift out/lift in, shaft coupling is tough to reach under the engine etc….  Not sure what labor rates are in your area but in my area I am looking at $150/hr.  That adds up FAST.  $3K is 20 hours by my maths.

I personally do not think it is high.  Others may have a different opinion.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.