• Creator
    Topic

jlarosa
    Participant

I have a high voltage alarm at the helm on my smart craft display. Its a 24 volt system ,I checked the batteries and have 23,5 on 1 set and 25.5 on the other . After I start up the engines displays read 30.1 on boat.Ā  is this a alternator issue?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Clark Leighs
    Participant

Measure AT the ALTERNATOR as described.Ā  Ā  Ā THat is the alternator output voltage.Ā  Just use a DMM and a decent one.Ā  Ā  Decent no longer has to be expensive butĀ  you can still go to cheap.Ā  Ā  Ā 

If the panel is reading high still then it is your panel.Ā  Ā 

If still concerned then I would go for independent Vmeters as TOny suggested.Ā  Ā  THat would entail running a fused set of leads from each battery set directly to each meter.Ā  Ā THe leads must be fused very near the battery set.

I did this just recently .Ā 

jlarosa
    Participant

have 23.5 volts on 1 set and 25 volts on the other

jlarosa
    Participant

when i start the engines 1 alternator has 27volts and the other has 26 volts , but at my smartcraft displays they both sow 30 volts ant thoughts on this?

thank you

Clark Leighs
    Participant

Strictly speaking it is likely the internal regulator.Ā  Ā  WHen they start to fail the voltage control often goes out the window with the resulting voltage climbing way beyond what your equipment AND you batteries will tolerate.

I would suggest first though using a DMM clipped to the main alternator output post and a good ground, alternator.Ā  Run the engine at a very fast idle to get it to produce and watch the voltage produced.

If it still shows the same then the regulator is failing.Ā  Ā  Do not ignore it as it likely will get worse and ruin other equipment.

Assuming it does the same then remove the alternator and either get it repaired at a starter/alternator repair shop of get a rebuilt unit.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Measure at the battery terminals with you really want to know what is going on..

Installing Digital Volt Meters (DVM) on Your Boat

But on the surface, your alternator regulator may have gone poo-poo.. But with Mercury SmartCrap electronics, anything is possible.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.