• Creator
    Topic

Mark Genhold
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Odyssea III
    Engines: QSB 5.9 380hp

I have twin 2006 Cummins QSB 5.9 380hp cruising for 5 hrs @ 2270 rpms, engines running great when an alarm goes off on the starboard engine CHECK ENGINE I power down and found the alarm was HOT OIL 270 degrees F. At 1100 RPMs temp went down to 230 and maintained. Water temp was a constant 175 degrees and oil pressure 45 PSI. Checked oil level and engine room and everything look good. Powered up to 2150 rpms both engines sync for 5 minutes and starboard engine lost some power and I immediately powered down to 1100 rpms oil temp went down to 230 degrees until we reached Great Harbour marina in the Bahamas.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Francis Valerio
    Participant
    Vessel Name: overslept
    Engines: Twin 4BT CPL741

Get in that engine room with a laser thermometer and point it at the oil pan, the block, the turbo, and anywhere you might think oil is traveling and if the Temps are OK then keep on cruising and ignore that gauge for now.

Sometimes analog is best

Good Luck

FV

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

As I said, you are driving blind–You need proper digital instrumentation that can read your ECM ‘s parent J1939 data output.. That is the proper diagnostic tool and you already own it–You just need a way to read it…

Mark Genhold
    Participant

No other symptoms that I noticed as I powered down immediately after the engine started losing power. The STBD engine has run perfect and has been maintained over the years. My engine room is spotless as I do visual inspections all the time, change oil & filters, both fuel filters, transmission oil and filter was just done 6 months ago. I am technical and know a little about diesel engines but without diagnostic tools its going to be difficult to troubleshoot that is why I’m reaching out for some ideas.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You’ll need to provide details specific to the STBD engine losing power.Ā  What other symptoms?Ā  Dark smoke or no smoke?Ā  Any other colorful history with this engine?Ā  Recent maintenance, repairs, servicing?Ā  Have some pictures of the engines?

Mark Genhold
    Participant

Hi Tony, I agree with you about the Smartcraft data, I only rely on my analog gauges, but something in wrong and I need to find out before we move the boat from this marina at the end of January. As I mentioned earlier we are in the Berry Islands, Great Harbour marina Bahamas.

Tony Athens

100%Ā  Mercury SMARTCRAP — This is exactly why I call the system that,Ā  and why I tell others with the exact system you haveĀ  is,Ā  “you are driving blind” , and have zero clue as what is reallyĀ  happening in your $200K engine room..

Your engine sends the correct data, but Mercury translates into some some foreign language they they cannot even sort out.

Tony

Loulouton
    Participant

Ok. You wrote in your first post Ā«the alarm was HOT OIL 270 degrees Ā». Did you get this message from the gauge? Ā 

Mark Genhold
    Participant

Hi, yes I have the exact guage, I was cruising at about 2270 rpms for hours and a tone alarm came on and the display said CHECK ENGINE I power down to 1000 rpms and went through the menu and oil temp said 270 degrees, within a fews seconds it came down to 250 degrees. I powered back up and sync both engines and temp went up to 270 degrees and the starboard engine acted as if it was running out of fuel, I powered down immediately.

Loulouton
    Participant

Hi Mark,

Do you have this exact gauge (the big one on the picture)? I have 4 of them tied to my twin QSB 5.9 425 and they were providing info on oil temp but it is fake data. I supressed this data from the gauge setup.Ā  There is no oil temp sensorĀ  at all on my engines and this is somewhere in the smartcraft “stuff” the data is “fakely”added.

How did you retrieve the error message? From the gauge or from a diagnostic tool (insite or others)?

LL

Tony Athens

Trying to help but you need to help me first.. READ my post again and post a pic of what you “see”.

Mark Genhold
    Participant

Hi Tony, The alarm came from my smartcraft RPM meter that has a digital display and came standard with 2006 Meridian 411. We are at the marina so the engines are cool but I’m going to run some tests today. I am leaning towards the turbocharger because the oil circulates through there and ends up in the pan. Also when I powered up after the alarm came up and sync both engines oil temp ran up to 270 degrees within a couple of minutes and the engine started losing power as if the turbocharger was struggling. Keep in mind the oil pressure and coolant temp was perfect. What do you think ?

Tony Athens

QSB High Oil Temp Alarm

Send me a good picture of what you see.. Never seen a high oil temp alarm on a QSB–Basically no such thing ever offered from Cummins ??Ā  Something aftermarket?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.