• Creator
    Topic

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch
    Engines: 6BTA

cummins 250 CPL953

I get a high coolant alarm from my high temp switch on the exhaust manifold port. Engine alarm doesn’t sound from the original instrument panel.

I will be installing the 1″ banjo at the turbo and line to the rear head coolant port.

My question is…by increasing the flow out of the head to the turbo, what is done from the exhaust manifold to the circulation pump? I only see one outlet from the exhaust manifold at the top (alt high turbo mount).

Would it be wise to switch my buss heater supply from the forward head at the t stat port to the exhaust manifold exit? While still leaving the line to the circ pump suction. Just trying to figure this out. I’m not comfortable getting the high coolant alarm at the upper power settings even if it isn’t tripping the alarm boards alarm limits.

D

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Discripive or not, your picture adds to my lack of understanding what you have.. I know the cooling system of a B very well but look as what you have posted:,, No clue as to what you have going on–Certainly nothing that I recogognize

HX or keel cooled? Properly sized?

Expansion tank location & size?

De-aireartion or spitter lines to the expansion tank??? The one I see at the elbow at the thermostat outlet looks like it goes down or sideways to ??

Manifold feed to coolant return?–Size/connections?

Thermostat?? Mechanical gauge to check temps?

Alarm set points?

Way too many unknowns for me to help at this point

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch
    Engines: 6BTA

Thought I left a very descriptive question, but the picture is attached as requested.

Your article on the site was very helpful in describing some of the cooling upgrades that can be done. Think I have a plan based on that material.

My exhaust manifold doesn’t have the coolant port up forward on the side. Only output is the top high mount turbo cap. I’ll relocate the expansion tank to the forward side of the coolant pump port, use the straight port for the exhaust manifold line, and the after port for the bus heater return. The three way pipe fitting will be replaced with a 4 way and most likely pull the bus heater coolant from there as well.

D

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

1)Post a good pic of the alarm switch you are referring to

2) Post good pics of the engine and all the things are are trying to describe..

No Cytstal Balls on this forum

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.