• Creator
    Topic

dnord2
    Participant

Can you guys school me on shaft seals, and replacement? How can I identify what I have, does boat need to be hauled out to replace, etc. I have a 97 41′ Formula with 450’s. Port side recently started drinking ATF, goes through the whole reservoir in 30 minutes of run time, could be 3 minutes for all I know, I just check it in 30. Also, can I limp it along for a while longer, I’d rather not haul the boat in august. Thanks

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mike Pettee
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Cop-Out
    Engines: Cummins 370s

Never heard of an ATF cooled seal, that is interesting.

I just replaced my shaft seals this season. I used Lasdrop seals. Boat needs to be pulled as the whole shaft needs to be unbolted from transmission and moved back to allow the new seal on. See if there is a spare seal on the shaft though. A lot of people place a spare on the shaft in case of an emegency. Could you do it in water? probably, but not worth it. If prepared a one day job. Might as well replace the cutlass bearings since you’ll have it out too.

PSS makes a good seal also.

dnord2
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, in my original pic you can see the drip like coming from the ATF reservoir. I guess its a Norscot shaft seal? The file photo attached is what it looks like. Ive done some more research, seems like the ATF would cool the bearing, so running it like this for extended periods would be asking for it.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

ATF? Reservoir? Shaft Seal?…ā€¦ This does not add up. Sounds to me you might have a hydraulic trimtab pump/reservoir leaking? Take some pics of the reservoir that you are refilling Also follow the lines coming from the unit..

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.