• Creator
    Topic

Gregory
    Participant

I have 2006 6ctas with 4,803 hrs in a 1978 42 chris craft sport fisherman.. salt water boat. My port motor seems to have an oil leak on the back of the motor at the bottom of the head. does not seem to be the valve cover or anything else. Is this a head leak or even possible. Am I missing something. It is not enough to cause and oil drop over a season compared to the starboard side. Oil consumption maybe 2 quarts over 100-150 hrs a season each motor. Seems to happen maybe heaver at/or higher rpm running. I wipe clean some days no re occurrence of oil but others days yes. Boat reaches 2700+ full rpm on mechanicals. air filters cleaned, aftercoolers cleaned.(btw) thanks Tony, your spec with fresh water flush lets me push apart with 2 fingers on 2 year cycle. Boat runs smooth no vibrations. I cruise at 2000-2200. making 18-22k respectively with large keel and 33k weight. I belive little leaks turn into big leaks but these are untouched except for matinence and valve adjustments . What should I look for. how should I approach. I do not want to rip down ; I belive not broke don’t fix. Some times not touching is better than touching. Temps good, oil pressure good, No pryros yet.( planned upgrade) . light white smoke at startup until hot ( to be expected at these hrs) . should I even worry or just use 20$ in oil diapers year.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Gregory
    Participant

yes it was

Yes it was.Ā  There is a oil passage in that corner,Ā  The old style gasket ( I was told) the rubber compression seal failed, maybe got hard. It was the source of the leak.Ā 

Kevin Bolton
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA 8.3 450

Same Problem I think

<p>Hi Greg, I have a 6cta 8.3 450. was the oil leak at the rear left side of the head?</p>
    <p>Photo attached.</p>
    <p>Cheers, Kevin</p>

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

That’s for posting the update Greg, and the verification by “testament of time”

Gregory
    Participant

found it

Ok it wound up being a head gasket. Looking at the back of the engine on the left corner,Ā  The small oil passage has a compression ring.Ā  Old style gasket.Ā  that’s were it failed.Ā  Flipped out the head 5k hrs. all good to go.Ā  1 year on the repair.Ā  A lot of work for an oil leak.Ā  LOL

Greg

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Any photo 2 to 3MB or higher is high enough res as long as it’s a good clear shot.

Gregory
    Participant

Photos to large

How do we post phots of high resolution when max file size for attachments is 5mb.
    Greg

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

How about some good quality pictures of your engines from all sides in focus with enough resolution to zoom into things and have a look around. Include a closer up of your suspected oil leak area.

Then we can hopefully help you…

Phil

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.