• Creator
    Topic

BAL
    Participant
    Engines: 6BTA5.9-M3 330

Twin 6BTAs, 330s. Just over four years ago I replaced my P.O. neglected aftercoolers with sbmar lubed aftercoolers with the copper cores. I am now servicing the aftercoolers and happy to report that the cores slid out with finger pressure, there was no corrosion or pitting, very minor scaling, and minor oil residue. That said, the boat lives and breathes in salt water for over 3 months a year and mostly rests in fresh water for the remainder. The boat is located in the Pacific Northest, cold water, and I donā€™t have a fresh water flush system. Just thought Iā€™d put this info out there for anyone trying to calibrate aftercooler service intervals.
    Happy Camper

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Andrew Smith
    Participant
    Engines: Diamond 250hp 4BT

When these Cummins aftercoolers fail from neglect what usually happens.

A friends volvo diesel aftercooler failed while offshore and he ended up rebuilding the engine. Sad thing is he had just rebuilt it 6 months before that.

Thanks,

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

We have plenty of aftercoolers that are well over 10,000 hours (some over 20,000) and over 15 Yrs old– It all comes down to the initial proper assembly and servicing every 2-4 yrs if parked in saltwater..

Thanks for the heads up & sharing..

Tony..

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.