• Creator
    Topic

kevin.white8503
    Participant

Four questions: 1. My Groco Seacock valves have square head plug which the Groco documentation says can be removed and a grease zerk can be installed there. Can that plug be safely removed while the boat is in the water? 2. Will this fitting sold by Seaboard Marine fit the threaded open?

<h1 class=”product_title entry-title”>Marine Brass 1/8ā€³ NPT Zerk Grease Fitting</h1>

3. Can the grease zerk be left in place or do you need to remove it and replace the plug?Ā  4. what grease should you use in Groco valves? Ā  Thanks

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Clark Leighs
    Participant

Change the grease fittings every few years, 2 – 4 yrs.

They are available in brass , plated steel or SS only so are not highly seawater resistant.

You don’t want them corroding into place,Ā  Ā  remove them long before.Ā 

Use a good thread sealer such as Rectorseal #5.Ā  Ā  Ā 

Even that plug is likely brass only so likely will waste away over enough time.Ā Ā 

JMO

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

If the valve is functioning as it should, with the valve closed the plug can be removed and replaced with a grease fitting while the boat is in the water with no leakage.Ā  After install have the valve in the open position when greasing, not closed, and use Groco grease or a good waterproof grease.Ā 

kevin.white8503
    Participant

Pictures of the valve

I have attached a couple of pictures which hopefully helps.Ā 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Why not post the Groco valve part number,Ā  or at lease some very good pics?.. I have zero clue about this particular valve and your descriptionĀ  ( maybe another reader?) –They do make good valves though.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.