• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Dan.
  • Creator
    Topic

Dan
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins

I’m looking at replacing my engine intake strainers to the groco hinged door style due to the oyster growth that occurs inside my present intakes,keeping them clean is virtually impossible.

Anyone have experience with the groco hinged door intakes or a similar brand?

Also what would be the size best suited for my application? 250 HP 4bta’s

Thanks

Dan

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dan
    Participant

Tony,
    Sorry for the delay,appreciate the response and advice – thank you.

Dan

John
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Puffin
    Engines: 270HP 6BTA

I replaced my factory strainer with the Groco access door strainer on my Nordic Tug 32+. Pull the door off and clean out strainer and thruhull every Winter haul. With the hull a little over 1″ thick at the thru hull, I bonded and screwed the strainer to the hull. Works fine. No issues after 13 seasons. Make sure you position the strainer forward and the door rearward. Door creates a water ram-jet effect up the thruhull.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

IMO———-Both are over-kill… You will notice zero difference..

Tony

Dan
    Participant

Reviving my own thread,probably over thinking this but I thought I would throw it out thereā€¦.

Back when I asked this question the advice given was to go with the Buck Algonquin strainer that can take a 2” thru hull.

https://catalog.hydrasearchrecreational.com/item/positive-flow-scoop-strainers/flow-rectangular-scoop-strainers-slide-out-scree-2/00rss655pf

I did purchase some but before I could get to use them they ended up on my neighbours boat that was suffering from the same problems as I (oysters growing inside the traditional style scoop/strainer)

Before I go ahead and order some more my question is would there be any advantage to using the next size up strainers on my boat — is it overkill? could they push more water into the pumps than they where designed to handle? The other question is – there is two styles that buck algonquin have available with the slide out screen.

Positive Flow Rectangular Scoop Strainers (the holes in the screen are at angles to flow more water when the boat is moving)

and

Rectangular Scoop Strainers ( the holes are flat on the screen)

It appears the body of the strainer is the same but the screen differs – what are peoples thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Dan

Positive flow https://catalog.hydrasearchrecreational.com/viewitems/positive-flow-scoop-strainers/flow-rectangular-scoop-strainers-slide-out-scree-2

Rectangular https://catalog.hydrasearchrecreational.com/viewitems/rectangular-scoop-strainers-2/rectangular-scoop-strainers-slide-out-screens

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yes, they are through bolted and bonded via one of the studs.Ā 

Dan
    Participant

Rob,

Talking to my diver his preference is the slide out grill style,but neither one of us new the brand hence the post.

Did you bond the body of the intake from the inside?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Here’s the link to the page of what Tony was referring to. Ā I have this type, very easy to service, here’s a shot of it open

http://catalog.buckalgonquin.com/viewitems/rectangular-scoop-strainers-2/rectangular-scoop-strainers-slide-out-screens

Dan
    Participant

Perfect,thanks Tony

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Ā I’ve had a few in my shop and they are OK .. It’s needs to be BIG enough so you can work with the opening. Ā  2″ thru-hull size Ā would be my choice. Ā  Personally I prefer the Buck Algonquin Ā ones with the slide out grid ( use the SS grid, not the brass one) if you park in salt water. Ā  Tony Ā  Ā 

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.