• Creator
    Topic

Lawrence McLoughlin
    Participant
    Engines: volvo 74P 480hp

i have a twindisc 507, just rebuilt. it has a troll valve on it. it drags in nuetral before the rebuild and still does now, you can stop it by holding the shaft by hand, what could cause this?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

You are right–It neither feels, or even acts, like regular oil….That’s the whole idea…………………………….. Glad it helped..

Tony

Lawrence McLoughlin
    Participant

i changed the oil with the 424 and did see some improvement, not 100 percent though. the 424 says its 30w but it doesn’t look or feel like conventional 30w motor oil

Tony Athens

All I can says is that we have used it in gears such as yours and 100% for sure, it helps with the type of symptoms you are having.. Just because TD has not tested it means nothing to me. I’m not tryning to sell you anything, just offer a possible solution. My Bro has used uses Mobil Guard SHC 1 for over 20 yrs now (industrial multi-purpose oil) Ā in all on the equipment on his boat– Gears, Engines, Ā and the generator.. ONE OIL for everything and all of the oil change intervals are “very extended” ——It’s not on the “recommended list” either for any of this equipment–He measures life in decades and 10,000 hours intrevals.. 2nd set of gears in close to 40,000 hours. 2nd gen set in close to 50,000 hours.. Nothing has ever worn out and actually needed replacing — he just replaces equipment when the timing is right.. What else can I say……………..The 424 specs say it all to me..Ā 

Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.

Lawrence McLoughlin
    Participant

tony, i looked into the 424 oil to find out more about it, it states in the mobil description, that it can be effective on the symptoms of “wet brake” and chatter, which i assume is what were talking about here? a call to a twin disc dealer here found for the most part it meets required spec except one, I don’t have that spec in front of me now , but can get it if your interested. Twin Disc dealer told me that you must be careful not to useĀ  certain oilsĀ Ā  such as ATF, that can degrade seals and clutches causing failure. Can you tell me more about it and your use of it in this application

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Subscribe

Larry, click the “subscribe” link at the top of the thread to have it notify you via email when there are replies…

Thanks…

1 user thanked author for this post.

Clark Leighs
    Participant

Would that tractor oil be suitable for an MG506. Ā My gear drags also when in neutral driving the prop in forward motion and has done since I owned the boat. Ā  It can be a pain but I worked around it. Ā If that Ā oil might reduce the drag it would be worthwhile.

Thanks,

Clark

Lawrence McLoughlin
    Participant

thanks tony , i just have to be careful when there is a line going under the boat, even with the full keel. i’ll try the oil, its too much work to take it out of the boat to take apart again , its more of an annoyance than anything

great info on here and great service purchasing items online

Is there a way to get notifications from a reply on this forum to my email?

thanks again, Larry

Tony Athens

…….Considering how long the gear was in your boat and gave you decent service, externally it looks very good.. Ā  As to the rest, there really is only ONE answer–Your rebuilder did not do it right..That fact that it drags in fwd and you can stop it with your hand, is not too big a deal.. You just need to live with it.. You might consider switching to Mobil 424 tractor /hydraulic gear oil–It has solved many issues in hydraulic clutched gears. Super high quality muti-pupose oil used in many applications. Ā  Tony

Lawrence McLoughlin
    Participant

sent pics

Tony Athens

Send direct to : Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā [email protected]

Lawrence McLoughlin
    Participant

I am thinking, correct me if i’m wrong ,Ā  considering the history, the selector valve is leaky or a problem with the troll valve .

Lawrence McLoughlin
    Participant

i tried to send picture a couple times but was blocked?? i can email or text them

Lawrence McLoughlin
    Participant

i have pics in my phone i’ll try to figure out how to send them

Lawrence McLoughlin
    Participant

yes, i’ve been lucky with the 507 for a long time it is solid. i repowered my lobster boat , had a 71a 350 to a 74p 480 @ 2600, gear had 20,000hrs and was out of the boat, so i figured it was a good time. total tear down by a local guy i’ve used for years, new clutches and whatever else it needed, its been 2 yrs now i don’t recall

Tony Athens

The MG507 Gear is rock solid when all is right as gives no issues– May I ask why the gear was rebuilt? May I ask who rebuilt it? Ā  Did you or ?? remove the gear from the boat? Ā  Engine it is mated to?Ā  Any real good Ā pics of the gear before & after the rebuild? Ā  Tony

Lawrence McLoughlin
    Participant

dragging forward, try to find nuetral at the gear with shift lever is unsuccessful, i can’t get the troll valve to work either, though it does show 75 psi when engaged, but does not slow the output, its 275psi with the troll off , could there be a problem with the troll valve that is causing the drag?Ā  never overheated the gear

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Drag Direction ?

Dragging FWD or REV ?

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.