• Creator
    Topic

Zac Schramm
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Off Hand
    Engines: 2003 Cummins 6BTA's

Hi all,

I am finishing up a bunch of work on cooling system maintenance on 2003 6BTA.  Doing the fuel cooler removal, combo block removal, replacing all fuel hoses.   I’m wondering what I do about flushing the new fuel hoses, specifically the one after the on-engine fuel filter.  It is quite long on remote filter.

I was wondering if I could just take hose going into engine fuel pump and connect that through a 12v fuel pump and connect to return hose to tank.  That way I’d bascially be polishing tank through racor and on-engine filter and let that run for a while before connecting to engine fuel pump.

I don’t see any reason that shouldn’t work, any suggestions?

-Z

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

pwrobert
    Participant

Priming for later possibility

Attached is a diagram of a modification I made for priming all lines except the last hose you were asking about for regular future uses whe filters are changed.  I came up with this because I was having to diagnose  air in lines issues that required a lot of lines, filters, fittings replacements to get things fixed and hated the re-filling and priming procedure over and over.

Essentually, by adding two additional shut off valves to the system and a line back to the tank or easier a “T” into the Return line a full refill or purge of the lines is easy and does not normally require cracking any injectors.

Close of the valve after the Last Chance filter, open the one on the filter to the return line and turn on your priming pump.  Let the filters and lines fill and  then reset the valves and you are done.  By closing off the one to the injectors you eliminate pumping air into that line and having to crack the injectors.  Normally that is the case when doing regular maintenence.  Of course if you run the engine out of fuel then leave that one open to help fill  up the last hose.

Works for me.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

That would do it.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.