• Creator
    Topic

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

When I purchased boat it had a 30 micron filter in racor and a 5285 on engine filter .It was recommended to me to change the racor to a 10 micron filter.480 ce.wondering if 10 micron is the norm.Bill

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Iā€™ve been using 2 mic Racor and 2mic fleetguard. I change them at 100 hours. Never had any issues

2 users thanked author for this post.

Mark Tripi
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Keeper
    Engines: Cummins 4BTA

William, I typically run less than 50 hours a year. I change fuel filters every two years. There has never been an instance of decreased engine performance and honestly the filters could go at least another two years as they never show any crud in them. I do purchase my fuel at places that sell a lot of diesel also, nothing sitting around for long.

Mike Uliasz
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Runnin' Down a Dream
    Engines: Cummins 6bta-M3 370hp

Tony,
    QQ, I’ve got the orginal setup on my Pursuit, Racor with the 10 Micron element and the FF5285 Fleetguard Fuel (20 Micron) on the engine.

Is there a better micron filter configuration with the Racor element or with the last chance engine filter?
    Thanks

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

I am going to answer this for Mark too…………….You change it as often as needed based on your fuel quality and the crud that is in your tanks…………………… Install a vacuum gauge…………………You do not want to send what-ever clogs your 2-mic filter to the last chance “ON-ENGINE” filter………………………..Understand, I am not trying to sell you anything, I am trying to save you $$ in the long run.

William Walter
    Participant

Change interval

Mark with the 2 micron do you change more often? I know every boats different but how often are you changing filters and how are they looking when you do.Are you using hours or calendar for your changes.

Mark Tripi
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Keeper
    Engines: Cummins 4BTA

I have been running 2 microns in my Racors for years after chatting with Tony. Never a problem.

2 users thanked author for this post.

William Walter
    Participant

Filter replacement

I think Iā€™m definitely going to go with the 10 micron and monitor the situation a little closer.would like to either add a filter or go with the double but my space limitations make it look like a major problem.Thanks for all the input.

William Walter
    Participant

Filter

Reverso works great. I usually use it to suck everything out but put the oil in the normal way.just me but it goes both ways.

Jason Leslie
    Participant
    Vessel Name: PierFection
    Engines: Detroit 6V92TA

By the way how do you like the Reverso oil change system?

Tony Athens

Since he seems to like changing his RACOR element , go to a 2-Mic element ………….. Sending crud to the on-engine “last-chance ” filter is a big NO-NO in my book……………………..Injection pumps and injector are BIG $$$..

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Wow that Racor is quite the shoehorn install and anything but the drop in housing ainā€™t gonna work there IMO. Can you relocate anywhere else?

1 user thanked author for this post.

William Walter
    Participant

Filter choice

Thanks Tony So from what I can see I can add I believe the bulk number 3 to my existing system or as Steve says go with the double. I have limited space where my existing racor is .itā€™s easy to change the racor filter but getting to the bowl to drain is a bear.would like a system that is more accessible.Wondering if youā€™ve ever made the change on a 38 tiara. Thanks Bill

Tony Athens

IMO, if you are sending black gunk to your on-engine filter, then you need to do a better job on fuel filtering before the engine.. Add a 30 Mic bulk spin-on separator before your RACOR that should use a 10 Mic element..The bulk separator will add 3X to the Racor and 6-10 X the life to the on-engine filter..

William Walter
    Participant

Filter

Thanks Mike and Steve for the info.link was helpful. I think Iā€™ll switch to the 10 micron especially after the Cummins guy said I had some black when he cracked the injectors. Iā€™m also going to increase my filter changes also.was doing it by hours but Iā€™m going to make sure they are at least once a year.was concerned what Cummins guy said so I replaced the on engine filter and cut it open.seemed pretty black but no debris.

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

WW,

Same setup on my boat. Had Dual Racors on each engine and the maint records showed the 30mic filter part. I was toying with the idea of using the 10mic filter part but went the extra step and had the SBMAR Double Double with squeeze bulbs installed to replace said Racors. So now I am multi-stage off engine. 20mic for the first filter which then feeds into the second filter in series which is 10mic and then we both have the same on engine filter at 10mic.

Had that done in July when we made the first attempt at the cyl head replacement. My base line on the drag needle is 3. It did not change all season. I will watch next season and see if it moves.

Tony has always said that you can not have fuel that is too clean. Helps with the life of the injectors. I had injectors rebuilt on the Port side as part of the work effort in July. Will do the strbd side over this winter.

Is this normal? Probably not. Is this a best practice? I would guess that Tony would say yes on the filters.

Mike Uliasz
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Runnin' Down a Dream
    Engines: Cummins 6bta-M3 370hp

Bill,

My boat had a 10 micron filter in racor when I purchased. I asked if it should be a 30 micron. A local mechanic said it should be a 30, but actually the 10 is the way to go.

See Tony & Rob’s reply’s:

6bta hard starting

Thanks

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.