• Creator
    Topic

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Thought some may find this handy when flush mounting.

Working on a DC project and needed to get this panel mounted in an overlay board. There is very little reveal around the panel perimeter and a lot of in and outs as what needs to be cut in, not simply straight like mounting an MFD or the like. The four corner crew hole placements leave no room for error.

The panel has a bit of weight to it so I wanted to be sure to leave as much plywood surface area as possible around the edges and good meat for the four corner screws.

Using oak tag I framed the outside perimeter of the panels components following all of the ins and outs and made a frame of it.

Laid the frame on the plywood, squared and properly spaced, and traced the interior. Then cut on the outside of the traced line.

This method can work for flush mounting all sorts of units…

Photos to follow

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

… maybe the hard part will be getting all the old wires to join up with the new panel or is it a match to the old panel..

Bill, to follow-up on your post… I labeled each circuit as I pulled apart the old breaker box. The circuits were terminated and fed to the new panel. The grounds went to a new common bus. Came out great and she’s up and running. A few punch list items this weekend and this electrical upgrade will be a done deal and then it’s time for the usual spring commissioning stuff…

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

No match, 100% upgrade and redesign of original DC distribution and AC main w/source selector (gen/shore). Yes I purchased the DC Panel and added the breakers I needed and also purchased an AC source selector toggle and two AC meters. The new AC source selector packages the mains, and selector all in one and I added two AC meters, one for gen one for shore. This allowed removal of the original Chris Craft separate main for gen and for shore and the transfer rotary shift, toggle switch and single meter, everything outlined in red in the first pic. This simplified the AC side and freed up quite a bit of real estate for the new DC distribution.

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Panel

Good job Rob. Didnā€™t know wood working was in your skill set.Iā€™m assuming you bought the panel and maybe the hard part will be getting all the old wires to join up with the new panel or is it a match to the old panel..

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

That DC Panel is a new install. This is a current project I am working on. Here’s the completed panel and components.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Rob,

This is good stuff………………………………..Can you put a date on when these new “electrical components” were installed/picture taken?

The next time the opportunity presents itself, can you take some current pics of the same “components”..

My goal here to to show the “Marine Age” component on a well maintained vessel.

Tony

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Photos for Custom Template

Step by step photos

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.