• Creator
    Topic

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Just cleaned my air filters and noticed my starboard filter will not clean up like my port filter.They are one year old and I’m thinking the starboard filter is picking up soot perhaps from port exhaust. Also noticed soot around port alternator which I read someplace in here is where you would see evidence of an exhaust leak.Engines are 480 ce on 38 Tiara.Ive never removed the exhaust side on turbos. Been afraid to tackle the bolts as they are somewhat rusted.I have been spraying them with kroil every time I’m in bilge.Any input appreciated.Bill

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

oh damn….

ok

i guess i may need to locate a torch

thanks

William Walter
    Participant

Kroil

Since I got the boat a couple of years ago I knew those bolts were going to be tough to get out so every time I went in the bilge I sprayed them with kroil. Not sure if that was a game changer or not but felt the torch made the difference.All put back together.Thought putting bolts back in would be easier but it was tough by yourself trying to align all and with limited space to work on the bolts.Used a rope to hold it in place instead of a helper..looks like marinas are back in action by us.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Didn’t bother with Kroil or the like ?

William Walter
    Participant

Bolts

Mike I was also nervous about challenging those bolts.I took Robā€™s advice and got a good six sided 10 millimeter wrench. Socket wonā€™t fit in there.First attempt I got six loose but two I could tell were going to strip so heated them with propane torch and one came loose.Last one I got a better torch from my neighbor and got it cherry red then gave it a try and it went.thought I was going to have to cut the last one but got lucky. If yours are as bad as you say I would heat them good before attempting to loosen..Good wrench is key also.Good luck Bill

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

Bill. Can you give a little detail on removing the bolts. Mine are almost scary looking and I would like to remove and replace but afraid to break one off mid season…

thanks

Mike

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

480CE Turbo Color

Turbo color is excellent and is indicative of low loads/boost heat for this engine…

The attached pictures show what I see all too often and is why so many of these engines drop valves, valve seats..Just because the engine can, does not mean it should..

1 user thanked author for this post.

William Walter
    Participant

Painting

Well truth be told I have been working hard in the bilge on a bunch of projects.One of them being some painting.The picture here is more indicative of a before touch up color.Still not bad but I will be touching up this side also after reinstalling turbo bolts.Thanks to your advise Iā€™ve re pitched props and am lucky to be able to do 22 knots at 2100 rpms .Engines rarely go above 65 percent load mostly around 58 percent.As a rule I try not to exceed 14 gallons an hour per side if I push it up. Once again thanks to you,Rob and Corey.I would be lost without this site.Bill

Tony Athens

Mr William Walker,

I have one comment based on your pics: It’s very refreshing to see a pair of 480CE’s that are propped light and the engines are run easy enough so the turbo’s, air pipes, and aftercooler inlet side is not “brown” from high boost air temps well above 200F….. I hope it’s not because you just painted them..

As to your turbo blades–They look 100% to me. Plus, you keep a very clean engine room!

Tony

William Walter
    Participant

Turbo

Iā€™ve never looked at my exhaust side of turbo before on my boat so I referenced Tonyā€™s tips. Seems the ones on the site the blades are dry but mine are what looks to be a little oily.Is this a normal.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

I think you will be just fine, yes the graphite gaskets are more forgiving than the sheet metal and were designed for situations just as this. Block sand the machined mating face of the turbo and then set the graphite gasket using ultra copper high temp rtv. Anti-seize on the new bolts.

1 user thanked author for this post.

William Walter
    Participant

Exhaust leak

So I ordered the bolts which needed changing and the gaskets.bolts were a bear to get off but was successful without breaking any thing.the right top one was worst and thatā€™s where I have most corrosion.possible that may have been leaking at that spot.spoke to Rob and Iā€™m going to sand a little more.reassemble with anti seize on bolts and high temp rtv for gasket.

Tony Athens

Let the “forum see” the rest of the engine room and be especially focused on the suspect areas..

Tony

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.