• This topic has 10 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 months ago by Woo.
  • Creator
    Topic

Woo
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Obsession
    Engines: 6BTA5.9M3 (370) x 2

I’m assisting a friend looking at a 33 Riveria with a pair of year 2000 built 6BTA with CPL 1975.
    280hp rating @ 2600.
    I’m no stranger to 6B’s, but looking for any feedback that this particular spec warrants looking at.

All the usual suspects check out well, they achieve 100rpm over rated at full throttle, and thankfully the exhaust mixer design is well laid out.
    Still has the original (albeit rebuilt) Sherwood seawater pumps with no current leaks, and has had recent SW cooling service and aftercoolers appear good.
    Overall it’s quite a neat boat, and looks to be a reasonable install for a production boat.

Anything in particular to look for on this CPL?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Woo
    Participant

Idler upgrades and 160* stats, TICK. <br />All they need now is fresh water flush setup.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

IMO 2,300 – 2,400 range if all is to spec and upgraded where needed.Ā  Idler bolt upgrade and the 160 t-stats are a must.

Woo
    Participant

Little update on this boat, all the seawater side has been done to SBMar specs, SMX raw water pump upgrades, fuel cooler deletes, Walkers gone and Airseps in place, and one circ pump done. I did forget to order the idler bolt upgrade kits, so will get those on the next order.

One question, where can the owner safely cruise these, assuming they’re making 2700, which is 100 over. The boat’s a bit heavy for her size at 22,000lbs half fuel, can’t explain why really, as there’s not a lot of removable weight aboard. She comes alive at higher rpm’s, but I would like him to not run it too hard and have a bad experience.

Woo
    Participant

Indeed they are. I think I’m going to try using the crankcase breather hose we use on our rally cars. It DOES go soggy over time, but it doesn’t split.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Hot CRANKCASE fumes are very nasty !

Woo
    Participant

Thanks Tony šŸ™‚
    I do agree it lives in a very tough environment. Finding a durable kink-free hose that’s impervious to oil is a real challenge.

Tony Athens

Envirovent Hose–Yes, it is far from ideal as to material construction , but it’s also very cheap to replace every 3-4 yrs as it ages in a nasty environment — Maybe $2/ft RETAIL at West Marine? It’s the flexibility and light weight that is needed,.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Woo

Woo
    Participant

Thanks gents,

No pics sorry, tight engine room without lifting the floor which I didn’t do.

Serial number of one is; 45998226.

Will definitely ditch the fuel coolers and do the idler pulley upgrade in short order.
    Will also add my fresh water flush setup ASAP and teach the owner how to do his own salt water side maintenance.
    I’ll be urging his to replace the Walker Air Sep and Sherwood pumps with SBMar options, (although Tony, some customer feedback if I may)….. that hose you use on your Envirovent is sub-par mate. In removing my engines as per another post, all the hoses had cracks and was very brittle.

The factory cork sounds good for this new owner too.

Tony Athens

Yup–You have 330 Diamonds with a 200RPM “FACTORY CORK” under the throttle pedal.. One of the best things Cummins did for boaters with a heavy throttle hand..

Good engines!

Woo

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Basically the same engines you are running in Obsession. My 315hp 330B’s are CPL1975. Rock solid. Just the usual SMX upgrade stuff: Idler pulley upgrade, ditch the combo block/fuel cooler, envirovent, smx pump, you know the drill…

Got a serial number and some pics?

Woo
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.