• Creator
    Topic

Steve
    Participant

While I had the heat exchanger removed for cleaning, I took some pictures of the exhaust elbow which I think the manufacturer used a wet elbow on the Albin 32+2?? I think it is also bronze as I checked it with a magnet so hopefully not prone to corrosion. This is a 98′ 6BTA Engine with about 1800 hrs and runs good, no issues. It is tight quarters for the exhaust elbow and exit and was wondering if you aware of any known issues on the Albin 32+2 exhaust design which I believe is 6″ throughout to exit? I see a lot of chatter about poor design with other Albins but nothing on the 32+2 which I hope is a good thing. I did not elect to inspect the turbo due to the effort to do so and I’m itching to get going for the season. I’m hoping I’m not on borrowed time here as I love the boat for the many years I’ve had it.

Should I be considering a dry stainless replacement in my future? Have you made one to fit this model?

Appreciate your advise and feedback.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Joe F
    Participant

Go Stainless and FW Flush

I have a 1999 32+2 (Yanmar 6LY, but similar enough constraints) and had Tony look at the exhaust when I bought the boat. I replaced the exhaust elbow  with a stainless version from Seaboard (they welded on a temp sensor to alarm a loss of raw water flow) and installed a fresh water flush system. The injection height above waterline is more than adequate. 

I was advised that while the elbow wouldn’t fully self drain the fact that it is heavy stainless and doesn’t have salt water sitting in it would result in a very long life. 

Joe

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

No Two Boats Are The Same

Yes, same “concept” but every boat has to be treated as a new build as clearances are very tight and dimensions are super critical, done to 1/8″ of an inch.  No two boats are identical, especially for stuff like this, and especially with Albin.  Here’s engine shots of two Albin 35 Command Bridges I inspected.  They probably came out of the build plant only a few hulls apart and both have the same 6LY2A engines.  Look at the different engine placements.  Use the orange oil fill cap as a reference – the ’06 engine is installed further forward.

Steve
    Participant

Dry Riser Design

Attached is a insulated dry riser with a water outlet farther down the line fabricated by you guys and designed for a 89′ 32 Sport Fisher which is the Albin model before the Command Bridge 32+2. He had the 315hp 6BTA. I think we both have very tight space but unclear if the same would apply for the 370hp for me. I am very interested in getting this solved and maybe you still have the CAD design that I could check and you fabricate.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You have zero issues as to the exhaust being safe as to the spillover height above the loaded waterline.  That exhaust is plenty high as it goes up and crosses over the top of the engine to come down and out on the starboard side.

You have a big issue as to what happens when a water filled wet riser fails internally.  When that riser corrodes through, every time you shut down the engine all that seawater that’s in the riser drains down into the turbo which is open to the exhaust manifold and cylinders.  Very damaging and very scary.

The other issue with the Albin Command Bridge setup as you noted is the very tight space where the turbo and riser/exhaust are located in the rear cabin wall.  Very difficult to work on and I’d be concerned with safety too with the tight space and other builder items and add-ons being routed through that same area.\ If it were me, as scary as they can be, I might consider another wet riser for safety but be sure it is of highest quality and always freshwater flushed.  I’d defer to Tony on this one.

Marine Exhaust Risers that are Doomed to Fail

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.