• Creator
    Topic

Michael Joplin
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Maggie Mae
    Engines: 6BTA

Cummins 6BTA, CPL8457, SN 46335077, 370hp, 1600 hours

Had noticed oil mess around the OEM air-sep installation and ordered/installed EnviroVent. Followed directions online, no issues with the installation was pretty seamless.

Fired up engine post installation, smoking heavily from timing cover crankcase vent. Also noting oil pressure on this engine about 10-12 psi lower than the port engine at idle (haven’t gotten to the other side yet).

Have pictures and video – closeup of installation, video showing smoking, closeup of engine data plate. Any thoughts, suggestions, or help would be greatly appreciated. Did not see this smoking prior to the installation this afternoon.

Did the cursory check with the oil cap sitting loose for a blow by test and it didn’t rock at all.

IMG_0293

IMG_0294

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

It’s there as a vacuum break should the main filter get super dirty..

Chris Bitton
    Participant

Thanks Tony. I’ll give that a try.
    What is the purpose of the little filter? Is there potential negative side effects of eliminating it from the setup?

Tony Athens

Loosen the clamp on the little filter–Push down hard and re-clamp.. Then take the boat for a run.. If it still does it, remove the bypass and clamp direct to the valve cove 90. It’s not exhaust — It’s blow-by

Chris Bitton
    Participant

I too installed a pair of Envirovents this Spring on my 370 BTA’s (v-drive). Although I installed mine in valve cover, not the timing cover crankcase vent as illustrated here.
    The main purpose of installing the Environvent’s was to try and eliminate the blowby I was getting out of the factory tube and in to the bilge/environment.
    I too have exhaust coming out of the bypass breather making my situation slightly worse than it was pre-Envirovent. Except I am collecting a bit of puke in the jug instead of just slobbering it in to the bilge.
    Is there any suggestion on what can be done to prevent the blowby escaping in to the environment?

I don’t have any photos of the setup, but I do have a video that helps describe the set up and experience.

Michael Joplin
    Participant

Thanks, will let you know the results on the Envirovent (very nicely put together kit). I have the aftercooler and HX kits from you as well which are next on the list and will send some detailed pics as I get that done. Appreciate the feedback from you.

Tony Athens

Simple answer, is NO…………………….Let’s get the Envirovent set up right for your engines.. Then you can attract the things that really matter like the aftercooler, complete seawater side on the engine, proper propping with good working alarms, and offering some good pictures of the entire engine and exhaust system .. Those are the things that when not right, take these engines out before their time.

Michael Joplin
    Participant

Thanks Tony, will try that. Could the high level of bypass be a pre-cursor to some major issues (bad piston, broken rings, etc)? Fairly new to diesels and was under the impression that 6BTAs were pretty strong engines if properly maintained. Would you recommend any specific items to check on a pre-emptive basis to help avoid bigger issues down the road?

Tony Athens

Obviously your engine has a lot of by-pass.. Loosen the clamp on the bypass breather, push down hard and re-clamp.. Take the boat for a ride.. If still venting to-much, remove the little bypass air cleaner and screw the 90 into the riser directly.. It’s very adjustable–That its beauty.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.