• Creator
    Topic

Mark Tripi
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Keeper
    Engines: Cummins 4BTA

Just wondering, has anyone ever replaced the lift pump on a 4BTA -250 with an electric lift pump? Over the winter I like to tinker and this has popped into my head. I know reliability could be an issue, but reading Tonys input on other treads tells me electric pumps can run a long time. What pressure and volume would be needed?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

I do not have a 12V that would work..

Tony

Mark Tripi
    Participant

Thank you Tony. I think the problems Dan is having is why I went for a front mount cog belt driven pump. I remember looking at this issue from so many ways my head spun. I still may look at going electric with a lift pump, just to make life easier in the e/r. Do you sell a pump with the specs you mentioned?

Dan
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins

After a little more digging around Ive just found this

Cumming 4BTA 3.9 Seawater pump issues

Dan
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins

I am the other guy Mark refers to,we both own identical boats with 4BTAā€™S, we often bounce around ideas between each other.

My pumps have over 1500 hrs on them, and Iā€™m thinking Ive pushed my luck way too far, reading the horror stories online of very early pump failure Ive been very lucky.
    Looking at them it doesn’t appear the fuel priming pump is in the way only the supply line (circled in my pics) that I think can be modified and moved out of the way possibly allowing one of the other standard Sherwood’s to be fitted ā€”if the inlet port clears the engine mountā€¦

First pic is not my engine,mine are the last two with the fuel cooler removed,is any of this coming back to you Tony? The harsh reality is Cummins would not have had Sherwood manufacture a specific pump without looking at existing optionsā€¦

Tony Athens

Mark,

Yes, I remember your seawater pump conversion well.. It definitely was a “labor of love” and obviously your skill level to do this was well above “Avg Joe” boat owner….

As to removing the mechanical left pump on that “MINI-P7100” to get clearance for a “real seawater pump”–Again, you are thinking out of “Average Joe’s”

{content}

box………………………………..The last time I had a 4BTA 250 in my shop I looked at that..

If I remember correctly, it was not just the lift pump that was the clearance issue–It was the pump “lock- timing mechanism” that was also a part of the clearance issue…..Not 100% sure as at current “lack of brain space age” , I could easily me mistaken..

Electric pump—————–15 PSI at 30 GPH /100% continuous duty delivery would probably do it..It needs internal relief to be safe.

Mark Tripi
    Participant

That is one of the problems. The port engine places that outboard, it is in a terrible spot to get at when the hatch opening and other equipment placed alongside the engine are taken into account. I don’t know the costs of either pump, what would be a cost for the existing vs an electric?
    Another thing, after talking with a friend with the exact same boat (Pursuit 3000) is r/w pump replacement. If you remember last winter I pulled my r/w pumps and fabricated mounts to drive to cat 3208 Jabsco pumps and had to install two new Bowman after cooler also. If that lift pump was not there maybe a better r/w pump would fit?

Tony Athens

What exactly are you trying to accomplish & why?

The pump on the engine is reliable, easy to get, and cheap..

Tony

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.