• Creator
    Topic

Bill de la Mare
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Albatross
    Engines: QSB5.9

I recall seeing somewhere that you said that  that dry liners are unsuitable in reconditioning QSB 5.9s. My insurers are requesting quotes to repair my engine after seawater up the exhaust, and the quotes I have received are based on using dry liners. Is there some some way I can document to my insurers that dry liners are not suitable for this engine.

Many thanks for your help

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

IMO, do not compare 20-35HP per liter parent bore engines to 50HP++ per liter parent bore engines.  Notice the word MARINE  & besides,  QSOL is full of errors,  just like you seem to want to buy into.

Phil Lack
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Encore
    Engines: QSB 5.9 440hp

Bill,  have you talked to Dave Duffin at Denman Engineering at Prince of Wales Bay near Hobart ?

Dave knows Cummins diesels very well and could possibly provide some comment on the repair of yr engine.

http://www.denman.com.au

JimmyK
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Incognito
    Engines: 2 x 6BTA 370s

Insurance companies don’t care what’s right, they care what’s cheap and what they can get away with.  If there is a professional shop saying they can be sleeved then it will likely be hard to convince the insurance company that this approach is invalid.

Perhaps you should get an additional quote to rebuild per the method Tony suggests, and if it is more expensive, offer to pay the difference out of pocket.

pmerklinger59
    Participant

On Cummins Quick Serve under Genuine Parts they list a “salvage sleeve” part # 3904166. They seem to be readily available for around $100.00. I looked it up using the serial number from my QSB 380 . If they are available someone must be using them ?  

Bill de la Mare
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Albatross
    Engines: QSB5.9

Thanks Tony,

Sorry I was not clear enough.

You wrote some time ago “Never bore & dry sleeve the marine B blocks. Genuine Cummins long block are also an option”.

However, the only quote I could get to repair my engine here in Tasmania was from someone proposing to use dry liners. I want to be able to justify rejecting that quote on the grounds it is not a suitable method for rebuilding a QSB5.9. The engine is badly damaged and I would prefer my insurers to accept that  liners are not acceptable and that a long block engine is the best way forward.

I was hoping that there is some documentation I could provide to my insurers to back me up on this.

Many thanks for your help

Bill

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

How can you document a liner that  is not available for  a marine QSB  5.9?  They do not have any type of liner that can be replaced–They are a parent bore engine……….QSB blocks are designed to be bored for oversize pistons.

.25MM is most common.

Tony

Richard Dodson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SWAY
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3 480

You might be able to, but at what cost? By the time you punch out 6 holes and install 6 sleeves, finish sizing and honing those you could probably buy a good rebuildable block. Many engine blocks can be bored out and sleeved, but Tony would be the expert on this. <br /><br />

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.