• Creator
    Topic

browntw.79
    Participant

I’m investigating alternator alternatives for my engine.  Will an alternator bracket from an 89-93 Dodge Ram truck fit on my 1986 Cummins 6BT engine to allow for the installation of a 4-inch split mount (J180) alternator?  I currently have a stock 2-inch mount.  Also, will the alternator brace link need to be changed?  

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Francis Valerio
    Participant
    Vessel Name: overslept
    Engines: Twin 4BT CPL741

You need to consider the location of the “automotive” bracket that you want to use on the “marine” application. 

Look at what you have and look at some pics of the automotive application and see if they could possibly interfere with the seawater pump plumbing and / or the heat exchanger plumbing.  I am only guessing if either is even possible to interfere bc I am not familiar with the automotive style (I never owned one), I am just giving you ideas to consider to look at

Good luck and show us some pics….we like pics

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Without really good pics of the Dodge bracket, I would doubt anyone could answer that.. And even with pics, that would be ???    Plus most automotive type alternator bracketing do not employ “swing style” tensioning–They set it up for just a spring tensioner to keep thing tight.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.