• Creator
    Topic

Matt H
    Participant
    Vessel Name: On with the show
    Engines: Cummings QSC 8.3

Hey Everyone!  Looking for some assistance.  Just had an oil survey done on 2007 Cumming QSC 8.3 500hp. Oil Change was done 100hrs ago and boat has a custom oil filtration system on board.  This is what the report said:

Gearbox port :Copper 316ppm

Gearbox Starboard: Copper 360ppm

Starboard Main: 18ppm Aluminum

Port Main: 22ppm Aluminum

Oil was not taken directly from the engine but from the filtration system petcock. Thoughts?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Clark Leighs
    Participant

I will try again.   My first reply  went into the netherlands when I tried to post it and then edit it.

What kind of filter system is this? Does it use gears to drive the oil through the filter?

On T.F. a member was upset because he got some very high copper readings.    It took a bit but a light went on when he realized the oil change system pump used bronze gears.  Bronze has lots of copper .   SO he sent in a new set of samples but without using the oil change system.   All went back to normal readings.    So if you are using a pump as part of your custom filtering system then maybe it is part of the problem.    Check it out.

It is VERY, VERY easy to contaminate samples.        The fact your engine and gear on one side both show high copper and the other side engine and gear show high aluminum   suggest that somehow the samples are questionable.   

I suggest you send in another set of samples and do not use the filter port.   Small single use pumps can be had from labs.  Try using them.    And be very carefull about how the samples are handled.

I also noticed that both engine were shown as having 5 qts of oil in the sump.   They should have far more than that so it , to me, also brings into question the details you  quoted.      Details with these things matter although this less than other details but they do matter.

Better luck next time.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

IMO————————-Like 100% of every random oil sample I have seen–Worthless unless you have a identified actual symptom on the engine  you are troubleshooting that may be related to the oil quality.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.