• Creator
    Topic

Kyle Routh
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Verity
    Engines: Twin 5.9 6BTA 370 HP

My 20 year old Tides shaft seals are leaking so I am replacing them.  Probably sticking with Tides although I’ve read all the very compelling arguments around packing glands.  Anyways…. I just want to verify that the shaft nut that holds the coupler on is removed in a counter-clockwise manner when looking at the nut from the end of the shaft, as in the photo. I’ve put a LOT of torque on that nut and I’m getting no movement.  I’m using a 2″ socket that I ground down to make it thin-walled so it would fit.  And yes, the cotter pin has been removed and I verified there are no set screws. I started wondering if maybe this nut was reverse-threaded and I was trying to turn it the wrong way.  Any help is greatly appreciated! Kyle

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Kyle Routh
    Participant

Update:  I was able to get both coupler nuts off.  I did give clockwise a try, but got nothing.  So I went back to counter-clockwise (normal thread) and a bigger cheater bar.  While applying a lot of torque and tapping the socket with a hammer they both broke free!!  Now to get those couplers off!! 

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Just because I have never seen it on that end of a shaft does not mean that it could not be a LH thread.. Before I’d cut, I think I would try the “other way”.

Clark Leighs
    Participant

I don’t have your coupling system  but maybe try the other way.

I got caught years ago trying to get my shaft nut off.      It is L.H. threaded but i could not see that.    After fighting it for an hour   I just figured what the hay and went the other way and it released.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Kyle Routh
    Participant

I did heat it with a propane torch to no avail.  Also while it was hot and I was pulling on the cheater bar, I repeatedly hit the socket on the sides pretty hard to try to break it loose.  Nothing.   Not looking forward to cutting the shaft but it’s not looking good.

Thanks for your reply – just glad to know that I’m not actually tightening it!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

I personally have never seen one with a LH thread.. Set screws yes. Because it is a brass nut, it will expand quickly compared to the shaft — Consider heat?

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.