• Creator
    Topic

Zac Schramm
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Off Hand
    Engines: 2003 Cummins 6BTA's

Curious if there is any specification or guidance on tightening these hose clamps.  My impression is that the spring needs to have some give both to tighten and loosen to allow expansion.   Anyone have any advice vs just tightening them ‘tight’ like normal hose clamps.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

to round it all out…….

The tool that FireIsland1 indicated shows a torque of 60 inch pounds( as pictured on amazon) which is in range favoring the higher end.  I will add that tool to my kit.  Thank you all for some good ole learning.

Chuck Rich
    Participant
    Vessel Name: crownroyal
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 370

This is from velvacs site

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Ridged 31410

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

Proper tool

ridged 31410 

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

Plumbing supply houses carry a T handle torque wrench for just this purpose.  It is designed for use on no hub fittings, and I don’t know what the preset torque setting is, but it has served me well in my boats engine room, my cars and trucks, as well as plumbing applications.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

I don’t think my method is more technical or scientific but I use a good nut-driver with a nice quality handle and make them basically as tight as I reasonably can with this limited tool.  No wrenches  and no ratchets.  Just “nut-driver tight”  The only time I’ll resort to a socket and extensions on a 1/4″ drive is if something is harder to get to and then I am careful to only make ’em good and snug with the 1/4″ ratchet, not over-tightened.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Nothing Scientific……..

I had a turbo air pipe clamp break on me back in Sept of 2022.  I posted a thread…….  What I ended up doing was count the number of “wrist turns” that I made to loosen the other clamps to the point where they would move so that I could figure out an average.  Call that point IP1.  When I put the whole system back together I tightened to generally the same point(IP1) then “tightened down” using the same amount of “wrist turns”.  That held through the rest of 2022 and all of 2023 which has been close to 230 hours.  Most of that is on plane at 2250rpm.  We splash in about a month.  Still cold here in Ohio

I am sure that there is something more technical and specific, and maybe even I will get some scolding from Tony, Rob, Clark or others……  But that is what I did and it seems to have worked for me in this application.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.