• Creator
    Topic

Gary
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Kokomo
    Engines: QSB 5.9

I’ve searched thru the forums here, boatdiesel, and Tiara but struck out.  Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I have twin QSB 5.9 engines with cone shaped air filters that look like K&N linen filters used in cars.  Should I just wash them in mild detergent and oil them with K&N oil?  Or do I just replace them?   At what interval?  Thx.   

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

David Hays
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Kinship
    Engines: Cummins QSB 5.9L-380

Thanks for the information.  Again, I learn something new, which is why I asked.

I have no idea if/when the internal coalescing filter was changed.  I also don’t know when/if the filter was cleaned last.  1000 hours on the engine at this point, of which 250 were hours I put on over a year.

So far as I mentioned above, the gauge on the Airsep has not shown any restriction, but I think it is time to clean the filter just based on its appearance.   A quick check showed that the internal disposable filter is definitely expensive.  I can get 2 of them for $300 but of course only need one.  Buying one isn’t half the price amazingly enough.

That does make Tony’s CCV kit pretty attractive.  I think I will do that once I get my other issues figured out.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Walker Airseps:  IMO that are well thought out and well made  units ( at least the later versions for the Cummins  “Q” engines”–I think they leaned from the Cumnins B which was a complete disaster), but are extremely expensive to maintain per their “protocol” both in Dollars and time.. …………To me, they are purposely over designed, & way overly complex for only one reason–Long term sales for maintenance down the road……………….Way simpler solutions for  a CCV or air cleaner and will do as good as job, or better job with out hurting your wallet..

Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jen Wren
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Vaquera
    Engines: QSB 540's

Elephant in the room

There is more to servicing  Airseps than has talked about.  That coned shape air filter is clamped to a canister.  That canister contains a coalescing filter that Walker recommends changing every 500 hours.  To my knowledge there is no aftermarket coalescing filter and Walker is very proud of theirs. Also weather you change the coalescing filter or not be careful reassembling, if the big o-rings are not installed and seated correctly they can be sucked down the turbo.

Joel Hilden
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Sway
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Walker air seps are not identical to K&N air filters, but obviously it’s a similar concept of oil-impregnated fabric that filters the air.  Walker recommends using their kit to clean and re-oil the filters, and they actually caution against servicing them too often as it can impair the vacuum action.  The air seps do more than just filter the incoming air, they keep oily crankcase gases from polluting the air and fouling your engine room.  Ever seen an engine room with a pair of hard-working Detroit diesels that simply vent the crankcase gases?

Rick
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SEA DUCK TOO
    Engines: QSC 600

Why Ask

K&N are not Walker Airseps…..Marine diesels are not highway diesels.  Walker airseps should be cleaned every 250 hours under normal useage.  I would recommend using the Walker cleaning kit.  

1 user thanked author for this post.

David Hays
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Kinship
    Engines: Cummins QSB 5.9L-380

Gary,

I am in the same situation.  This is my first large Diesel engine.  I also have the 5.9L QSB with the Walker Airsep.  On mine, there is an indicator on the unit that is supposed to tell you when there is beginning to be restriction on the filter.  After a year of owning the boat, mine doesn’t show any restriction.

I have the same question though, should I clean and re-oil the filter anyway?  I would use the same cleaner and oil as I use with the K&N filters on my cars but frankly don’t want to bother if not needed.  The ER is a very clean place on my boat so not sure how much particulate the filter would pick up anyway.

Gary
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Kokomo
    Engines: QSB 5.9

I spent a few more hours digging around  the interwebs, and discovered what I have is called an airsep made by walker.  Since they have the instructions and maintenance materials I guess I’m all set.  This is my first big diesel boat so this stuff is all new to me. 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Have  you considered posting some good pictures?

You might be amazed what may come back,

Tony

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.