• Creator
    Topic

Olivier
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Horatio II
    Engines: Cummins 5.9 QSB 380

Hello

My mechanic changed our serpentine belts as part of the big service. One hour into our first trip out I could smell burning. Called him and he said that was ok as there is tensioner. 30 hours later belt broke.
    Called him again back and he could not explain the reason

I checked all pullies and all fine apart from the one where the 2 belts are. All the screws were loose and the pulley was wobbly. I suspect this is the reason why the belt broke. I don t understand how these screws managed to come undone. Would the mechanic have to remove that pulley to change the belt or other parts (access water lumpy etc..)?

I am of course blaming him but he refuses to accept his responsibility.

Could some one tell me the exact procedure to replace that belt? (From Ć  mechanic point of view)

Our Cummins dealer here cannot help.

Many thanks for your advice.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bill Stenger
    Participant
    Engines: 250 Hp 6bt M1

Be prepared to press that bearing out and in with a press of sorts. it doesn’t just slip in or out. just a heads up.

28Cuttyhunk
    Participant
    Engines: 6BT-220 QSB-5.9

Bearing

Put that part number in a search on EBay, plenty available

Olivier
    Participant

Hi.

I am trying to source an equivalent here in France
    What are the characteristics of this bearing. I assume High temperature. Double row. Water proof??

28Cuttyhunk
    Participant

Bearing part number

The bearing assembly is part number 3910739

1 user thanked author for this post.

Olivier
    Participant

How funny cuttyhunk!! Made me laugh. I think I can cope with changing a bearing. Just wanted to make sure that this was possible. You would not happen to know the type of bearing or even have the ref. Engine serial numbers on pics.
    If you can help. That would be great

28Cuttyhunk
    Participant

Accessory drive pully

It is easy enough to change the bearing, but I’m guessing that it may be beyond your capability as you cannot change a serpentine belt. Sorry if this sounds harsh. Just an observation.

Olivier
    Participant

To carry on the saga with dodgy mechanic. He came today to change belt. He removed sea water pump belt by removing the water pump. pulley. I expressed my surprise and mentioned about the loose screws on the other pulley. He said straight away that that was the reason for the belt getting damage. Anyway I don t think I am getting anywhere with him.

The more worrying thing is the the bearing on the pulley where the 2 belts are is gone. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the bearing or do I have to order the whole thing. Put photos on.

Thanks for help

Olivier
    Participant

TOOL belt

Hi

I believe there is a tool to remove and put the water pomp belt back on. What does it look like? Can I do that without it?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

QSB Seawater pump drive –Early & Late Designs & Tensioner

Early and Late Style QSB Seawater Pulley Configuration

Identifying the Belt Tensioner on your QSB 5.9

1 user thanked author for this post.

28Cuttyhunk
    Participant

Changing belts

The time it takes to change the belts depends on access to the front of the engine. If you have plenty of room to work you can change out both belts in less than 10 minutes. Some engines are mounted forward close to a bulkhead and can be more time consuming. The 2 belts in the USA cost less than $250 for both.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Olivier
    Participant

Hi

Thanks for answering. I’ll post the details next time I go to the boat.

28 Cuttyhunk, my feeling exactly. He is going to replace the belt and this time I’ll be there. See what he does!!!

Could you tell me how much it the serpentine belt and the also the stretchy on?

It is a 2009 model with the flat stretchy belt

28Cuttyhunk
    Participant

Loose pulley

You are referring to the accessory drive pulley, It is held on with 6 small allen bolts. There is no need to loosen or remove this pulley to replace the serpentine and/or water pump belt. If the drive pulley bearing requires replacing then the pulley would require removal. If “Your Mechanic” removed just to replace the belts? I would consider finding another. JMHO

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Post your serial number and several good pictures of the front of your engine with the belt guard removed and pictures of the part(s) that failed.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.