• Creator
    Topic

Luke Nelson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Southern Image
    Engines: QSC 8.3 540hp

Hi All,
    Just thought I would try the brains trust. I have tried google and cant find what I am after.

So a cetop 3 direction solenoid valve says it flows at 60 lpm ish depending in brand. I am assuming that would be at the max flow rate at max pressure of 350bar?

Does anyone have or has seen a flow rate chart depending on pressure? I would assume the flow rate at 100bar would be a lot less around 20?

So this is on my Hydraulic thruster, I could get a flow meter or t in another valve body to double the flow. But if it will do no good it will be a waste of time.

Thanks Luke

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Yes, you need more pump displacement so you can do what you need to do at a lower RPM

Luke Nelson
    Participant

Thanks Tony,
    I think I am finding the answers I should have gathered when I put it in. Looking at it, if the pressure settings are not blowing off it is giving everything it can to almost max performance? Short of a bigger pump there is not much that can be done?

#1 800-1000 rpm.
    #2 600 rpm 1800 psi, 1000rpm 2200, psi 1200 rpm 2200psi
    #3 Pump is set to 2500psi, manifold is wound to max as well. I didn’t dead head the system but will put it on the list to confirm it still gives 2500psi.

Cheers Luke

Tony Athens

Bow Thruster –Performance questions

Good start, but need more..

#1– At what engine RPM does the thruster give you the power that you want?

#2—-Need the numbers as to PSI at low, medium, & higher RPM..

#3—Do you know where the system pressure adjustment is? Could be on the valve or separate?

#4–Post some good pics of all the components..

#5– a 2nd valve in parallel will not help

Tony

Luke Nelson
    Participant

Hi Tony,
    I was hoping you would have the knowledge. The main thing I am thinking of is if I can get more flow out to the thruster. It works well and I can walk sideways in 15+ knots but more is more if I can get it. The main restriction I thought could be the port size on the manifold with only 6mm holes on the cetop 3. If I put a 2nd direction valve in parallel would increase the flow?

Basically Vetus wanted their own separate tank, drive and not part of the boats system. As we have other hydraulics it was easier to make fit.

Vickers PVE19 41 cc, PTO driven- 3/4 lines- 5 port cetop 3 manifold- thruster on 3/4 lines. Noting else uses the flow from the pump while the thruster uses it.
    So at 600rpm the thruster works, as I increase rpm to out to 1000 rpm the flow/ thrust increases as is expected. I have gauges but cant remember of the top of my head. I think around 1000psi at 600rpm and 1800 at 1000-rpm.

thruster Vetus 12.5 kw, 16.8 cc /rpm, 33.5lpm

Let me know what else I can give you?

Luke

Tony Athens

All hydraulic flow valves always give recommended Max flow rates.. Yours is rated at about 16 GPM. They also have a max pressure rating..

What exactly is not working the way you want with your bow thruster?

I speak this language very well, but what I would need to help is the following:

All Pump specs ( type, displacement, and max pressure rating) and the RPM it runs at ( usually at close to idle would be most common for a bow thruster. Is the the pump 1:1 with the engine RPM

Thruster motor displacement.. Plus all thrusters I have seen have a chart for flow vs.prop RPM vs. the pressure / typical HP needed to get that RPM… Post it.

Do you have a system operation pressure gauge? With that most basic tool installed on the system, it very difficult to troubleshoot anything.

How was the overall system designed? or figured out?——A kit, by you, past experience, ??..

Tony

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.