• Creator
    Topic

QSCIsMe
    Participant
    Engines: QSC 540

Possibly losing some coolant on stbd engine, QSC 540.  Some residue around the cap.  One suggestion has been to increase the psi of the cap from the 15 psi to 17-18 psi.  Would that increase the risk of other problems? Cap on there now is new.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

QSCIsMe
    Participant

Ok next time on the boat I’ll take pics.  The problem is stbd engine every now and then loses coolant.  Some trips not an ounce is lost, and other trips close to a quart.  No correlation with running the engines hard or not.  Both caps are new but I can try switching.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Yes, three things..   1) Post or send me a very clear picture of the “weep”, seep, or “leak” you are worried about 2) Remove the suspect cap and look at the brass  reservoir neck very carefully.. Any dents, nicks, etc on the smooth sealing surface?  Compare  it to the one that does not leak. 3) Have you swapped caps?     Tony    

QSCIsMe
    Participant

Thanks Tony.  I just replaced the caps a few months ago with new ones (from sbmar).  Anything else I can do?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

DO NOT increase the pressure.. Replace the cap with a new one.  You do not have to buy a “Cummins cap”.. Use a a premium version from STANT ( go to NAPA, Pep Boy’s, etc) 

Tony

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.