• Creator
    Topic

Richard Murphy
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Mr-Pat
    Engines: ??

I bought two recon 8.3 QSC 600 engines last year from Mexico I blew one up today 2 holes in the block and one in the oil pan not sure what came apart inside yet. well pull the boat up tomorrow and start looking we were going 2550 rpm water temp was 171 we were on step going 28 MPH
    This is a Bristol Bay salmon fishing boat with twin Alamarine 340 jets top speed is 46.6 MPH we were burning 21.8 gallons an hour we were on step for about 15 minutes before it blew up the motor has around 500 hours on it we just changed the oil .
    I change the oil 3 times a year once in the fall then store it on land then again in the spring when we launch and once again in the middle of the summer I started the season with 385 hours on the engine the engine has had 4 oil changes I dont thick I have any warranty so I need to find a new 600 where can I get a new 600 with warranty?? Thanx

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Richard Murphy
    Participant

How much are the tire 3 and where can I find one??

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

JUST an FYI——–The only QSC 600’s that were ever approved for “low annual annual “Bristol Bay” service with very specific installation requirements and a factory application review & TVA were the newest “NEW NEW” QSC Tier 3 units- And yes, this started about 2-3 years ago with the Pacific Northwest Cummins distributor——

NOT FOR THE RECONS that are built to a much “lesser” spec based on engines built in 2002-ish,.. That applies to every QSC RECON———————-No exceptions…………..You can send me the serial & I’ll do a print out for you in case you are skeptical

Now, if some “rogue employee” of Cummins or tech says otherwise, both of you are your own..

1 user thanked author for this post.

Scotth
    Participant

Hi Richard,

I will defer to all things technical on this engine to Tony.

I also fish in BB and keep a close eye on the new boats getting built. The QSC600 has only come to the bay in the last few years, so the fleet is on the steep part of the learning curve. I would try to get a hold of other QSC600 owners that have installed new or repowered to see how they are running them. Certainly staying below the propeller consumption curve under steady state load is a good start. I assume Cummins Northwest is supplying the QSC600 engines to the Washington builders.

Sorry to hear about your failure, it is the first major one I have heard of. Could have been a bad luck manufacturing defect. Do you have any warranty left?

Scott

Tony Athens

What engine would I recommend? That would only come from me doing after through analysis of the vessel application and duty cycle…That’s my job and have 30+ years of doing it that way.. The 100++ commercial vessels I watch over very closely and built my business on rely on be for just that..There is way more to just saying “in the 600HP range”.. 600HP for “show & tell” (that would be a QSC 600) , or 600HP for 30 minutes or for hours & hours on end…………………..

Richard Murphy
    Participant

QSC 600 BB

What do you mean I see the engines in a few bay boats
    I thought I talked to you last year and you said to keep them under 20 gallon an hour I may have talked to someone else

whats wrong with useing qsc 600s in the bay
    what would you recommend for BB in the 600 hp range?

I see you post a lot and I belive you have a lot of knowlodge on cummins engines

Thank you Tony

Tony Athens

21.8 GPH at 2550——–You are certainly asking more from the engine than Cummins recommends.. That right there should make you rethink, especially from an engine that was never rated for this type of application.

As to what happened–Obviously the engine lost a piston/rod, etc. .. Why??–at this point you have to ask yourself , how deep do you want to dig to get an answer, or just move on ?.. Simple things–Fleetguard oil filters or ??

I believe there were 2 x QSC’s 600’s in Renton 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.