• Creator
    Topic

David Diener
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Fathom
    Engines: Cummins 370b

Had a couple question on the blow by test for a 370b. I read Tony’s article on the test but have heard from other people that I should use a larger orifice when testing a 370B. I think it was .301 vs .221 orifice. Does it really matter? And if i use a larger orifice will that change the number im looking for, such as In water at the manometer. Also i believe the tests needs to be done while the engine is under load? So it needs to be running in the water vs a static test at their dock?

I have to pull my engine for transmission issues and figured might as well test blow by so if I have an issue it would be the time to address it.

Thanks for the help!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Victor
    Participant

Like Tony said. Manage it through SeaBoard’s EnviroVent and go fishing.

David Diener
    Participant

Yeah, I did try the oil cap test and it appears ok. Oil cap does not “fly into orbit”. Thanks guys

Dave

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

I still don’t understand why you want to do a test as “it is what it is”, and what ever it is can be 100% mitigated with the Envirovent so you will see NO SMOKE with some adjustments..

But, if you are on a “mission”, it needs to be done under load and “PER THE BOOK” as to orifice size.

Tony

Victor
    Participant

Mine do the same. Did you try the oil cap test?

David Diener
    Participant

Engine has about 1100 hrs. Well, Ā it smokes pretty good out of the envirovent filter and oil fill cap when cap is off. I had to replace the turbo due to saltwater intrusion. Was flushing the engine the other day and my neighbor came over and said, “that engine seems to have a lot of blow by”. He saw the smoke coming out the envirovent filter. I don’t think I have an issue but figure it’s worth checking before I pull the engine out of the boat.

Thanks

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

What do you suspect you need it?

What are the symptoms?

Total hours since new?

Tony

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.