• Creator
    Topic

Darrell Pyke
    Participant
    Vessel Name: MATA HARI
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 5.9 270hp

This is what I wrote back on Oct 10th when I was chatting with Corey from SB Marine.

Here is my scenario.
    At the end of september my wife and I bought a 1999 Bayliner 4087 with twin Cummins 6bta 5.9 270 hpā€¦they only have 800 hrs on them and AAA marine did a full mechanical survey before we took delivery.
    All oil samples came back great and only a few minor issues, we left Oxnard on the 30th of september and started our journey heading back to Naniamo British Columbia. We are now in Westport Wa for the night.
    Today the port engine started acting up on us and here is what I documented.

Both Port and starboard engines were set at 2000 rpm as we were trying to stay ahead of weather.
    The port engine started to bump down to 1400 rpm for no particular reason so I tracked these bumps up and down and this was the result.

At 1min 5 sec it lowered the rpm to 1400 then took 9 sec to recover back to 2000rpm then again as i tracked it 5 more times as follows.

1 min 12 sec then down to 1400 rpm… then 10 sec to recover to 2000rpm
    1 min 11 sec then down to 1400 rpmā€¦then 12 sec to recover to 2000 rpm
    1 min 2 sec then down to 1500rpmā€¦ then 14 sec to recover to 2000rpm
    1min 7 sec then down to 1300 rpmā€¦ then 14 sec to recover
    1min 2 sec then down to 1400 rpmā€¦then 13 sec to recover

Very strangeā€¦.my first though was bad fuel or a possible bad injector but the consistency of the fluctuation is baffling.
    Note : engine does not burn any extra fuel and starts like a champā€¦

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Corey felt the engine was starving for fuel and to change out the filter, so after changing out housing and fuel filter there was no change. So to continue on with our 1200nm journey I isolated the port fuel tank by utilizing the fuel management board and having both engines draw and return to the starboard tank. After doing that the port engine ran normal with no other hiccups.

So the question being with a 120 gal of diesel in the port tank do I have it Polished ???…Replace port fuel lines
    check fuel valve on distribution panel ???….probably all of the above where to start ????

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

I’d start with tank vent and fuel pickup.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.