• Creator
    Topic

Steve
    Participant

I have 2 6CTA motors (1500 hrs) and each has an 8D starting battery. I have to replace one and would like to switch to something more portable. What are some reasonable alternatives? I have a Pro Mariner charger that supports gel or lead acid. Also, what is the best procedure for ensuring the alternator is not over charging? That might have been the reason one of the 8D’s over temped.

Thanks,
    Steve

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Steve,

One DVM for the bank.
    My house DVM is monitoring a house bank of four 6v golf car batts in series/parallel. Works great.

Steve
    Participant

Thanks… if i run two group 31’s in parallel will a single DVM gauge suffice per bank or will I need one per battery?

Charles Burton
    Participant

Battery group size 24

I have dedicated starting batteries for each engine with a paralleling relay if required. I am in southern California and really don’t use the preheat before starting so I replaced my 8D with a group size 24 lead acid – works fine. If I were to need a larger amp hour capacity, up to 3 group size 24s will fit in the same volume/battery box as one 8D and still a whole lot easier for me to handle alone.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

If it’s a dedicated start battery, just look at the cranking amps on the spec sheet for your engine, they are all here on the website.

As to knowing EXACTLY what’s happening at the battery at all times: https://www.sbmar.com/articles/installing-digital-volt-meters-dvm-boat/

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.