• Creator
    Topic

jason breault
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Mermaid
    Engines: twin 6bta 370

Upon replacement of gear oil coolers on early model 6bta 370’s (1.5″ coolers) we found badly deteriorated barbs in the coolers feeding the dripless shaft seals. One was cracked almost in half inside the hose. Based on the nature of the deterioration, it appears they were brass and they dezincified. I would like to use bronze instead since the bodies are also bronze, but I am having a really hard time finding bronze barbs in that size. What is common practice for selecting a material for this barb? I would think a high temp plastic like polysulfone would be sufficient however I’m not a fan of plastic fittings anywhere in a raw water circuit, let alone directly threaded into a cooler. Brass would likely dezinc itself and rot away again. Stainless would pose the threat of galvanic issues in an expensive brand new cooler.Ā  Thoughts? common practices? source for a bronze nipple that fits that someone has maybe already found? searching online has produced nothing but brass and larger than 1/2″ mpt bronze fittings.Ā  Thanks in advance. -Jay

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Picture of the exact fitting you are referring to?Ā  12+ inches away

Clark Leighs
    Participant

Both Groco andĀ  Buck ALgonquin show bronze fittings as available.Ā  Ā Assuming they offer what you want You may have to wait a bit but I have ordered some over the last few years.Ā  Ā  Ā But yes they are tougher to find.

jason breault
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Mermaid
    Engines: twin 6bta 370

On the same note of materials, Tony, do you happen to know off the top of your head what material the 90 degree metal elbow on the early 6bta 370 gear cooler to heat exchanger is? is it stainless or just some kind of coated mild steel. We have some crevice corrosion forming under one of the 90’s and it is ALMOST through, but only in one tiny spot. Id like to just clean out and re-build up the area of material in that spot (tig or brazing) to save the 175 bucks for a replacement.Ā Ā 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Small “bronze” type hose barbs areĀ  basically “un-findable”… Common yellow brass today is good for 2-3 yrs.. Just change them every 2 yrs or so if you do not fresh water flush. Sure,Ā  modern engineering plastics are good as long as the install is proper and safe.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.