• Creator
    Topic

David H
    Participant

Was on a long cruise last summer when old alternator went bad. Had to replace it quick to finish the trip so thanks to SBMAR, they shipped us a new 22si.

The old one is about 10 yrs old but super clean, as its been in an engine room that also is super clean. It’s one of the ones where Cummins painted it white along with the engine.

Now I’ve got this new one that should last more than 10(?) years, so debating whether I should have the old one rebuilt and keep as a spare… (How much does it cost to have one rebuilt these days?)

or are there junkyards or places that will buy the old one from me so they can rebuild and resell…?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

David H
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, it’s just a matter of finding a shop to do it. Seems like there are not as many shops nowadays that will do a rebuild.Ā  I’m guessing a rebuild is in the $100-$150 range.

Clark Leighs
    Participant

I agree with TOny’s suggestion of rebuild it and keep it as a spare.Ā  Ā  I keep my original 10DN unit for that reason.Ā  Ā  Ā  Low output but much better than no output

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

IMO–Have it rebuilt and carry as a spare..

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.