• Creator
    Topic

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Both engines (330B’s / CPL 1975) were new installs in the winter offseason of 2001/2002. Unfortunately this puts them into that timeframe (late 90’s – early 2000’s) when Cummins used the AL finned cores….not good.  But prior owner was a Seaboard customer and follower of Tony’s Tips and he believed in a very proactive maintenance approach.  This was a major factor back in 2014 when I bought the boat from him.  Another plus was that from day one the boat has been slipped in brackish water, by prior owner and now myself. Last aftercooler servicing by prior owner was the winter offseason of 2013/2014 which would have been the 5th time they were serviced since new and always done the Seaboard way.  So now 3 years since last servicing and time to pull them apart again. One core popped out with the push of my thumbs, the other was a single tap with a small hammer and wood block and then it easily slid out. Zero debris in the lower caps.  The boat is not equipped with engine room basket strainers, just hull mounted south bay strainers (aka squid screens) and they clearly did their job. I cleaned the housings and freshened up the upper and lower sealing faces via a light block sanding.  One housing has some corrosion on the inner bore that will not come into play and will simply be filled with grease upon reinstall. Rather then erect a core pressure test jig I sent the cores to Seaboard.  The airside fins were ultrasonically cleaned,  seawater side was 10:1 acid cleaned and they both had a successful pressure test and are on their way back to me as I type this. More to follow up reinstallation… So the housings and the cores (albeit the AL finned ones) will live to see their 16th season, and hopefully many more.  This is REAL proof that the Seaboard way to Aftercooler Servicing is the ONLY way.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Aftercoolers Re-Assembled

Put the aftercoolers back together yesterday.

The pictures and captions should speak for themselves..

Will pressure check them one night this week.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.