• Creator
    Topic

Taylor Kooiman
    Participant

Hey all,

Wondering if my starboard After cooler housing is shot? No issues prior to removing just figured it had been 2 years and it’s time. I did not service the last time as I did not own the boat. I was wire wheeling some of the corrosion off and the pitting seems excessive. The sealing surface seams to be ok with slight pitting that I believe I can sand out. Just slightly worried about the inside. My plan was to wheel, sand clean, aluminum black, lube and put back together. Wanted to get your opinion before I get going.

I understand it will not last forever BUT if I can get it through another 2 seasons that would really help me out. I just dropped a valve and am in the process of a rebuild. All six holes, new head, ect ect ect. So $$$ will be very tight this off season.

Any help is appreciated. See pics attached.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

KevinS
    Participant
    Vessel Name: PITOU
    Engines: Cummins - QSC 8.3

Core Tester

Rob, That is super slick! I’m all in on this.
    Thanks, Kevin

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

6 x 6 x 0.25 inch 50 durometer neoprene squares from McMaster Carr

2 users thanked author for this post.

Taylor Kooiman
    Participant

DONE! That is fantastic, I work at a commercial plumbing shop so we have almost all of that material here. Question: The rubber material, thickness & source?

That is super helpful and will work for years to come.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Ship the core to them if it saves you 4 hrs of windshield time that you do not wish to do. Or if you’re handy and would rather spend that time constructively, build a core tester. Here’s one I built in under two hours.

Taylor Kooiman
    Participant

I will if I have to, Just trying to avoid the sometimes 2 hr drive each way through LA to Oxnard. Just seeing if there are any closer options.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

Why not drive them up to Seaboard?

Taylor Kooiman
    Participant

Thanks Tony, I will get going on that.

Does anyone know of any trusted shops in the Long Beach/Orange County Area that pressure tests the cores separately?

I know Marine Diesel Services in Costa Mesa has the jig but will not piece work that out. Full service or nothing.

Thanks!

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The sealing surface is marginal because of sever undercutting very close to it. Block sand the ends by taking off about 005″ and post better pics.. You may have to consider bead blasting the uncut area, filling the close part with JB weld, building a 4.95″ diameter wood round jig and use that to block sand that part out.

Salvageable–Yes, but be sure your pressure the core separate, and maybe the assembled unit.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.