• Creator
    Topic

russkarns
    Participant

I have twin 2008 Cummins 380 QSB’s. The port engine aftercooler drain is now leaking air and air only. I have never seen any signs of water under either side and this is a new development. I have serviced them per Tony’s recommendations and they were done last year. Both engines are freshwater flushed and I haven’t noticed any performance issues. Boost is the same on both and the only difference is the port uses about 7% more fuel and always has.
    Do these things ever just get stuck in open position or fail. I’m thinking of switching to the ball valve replacements and just opening the drains after running.
    Appreciate any help or hearing similar experiences,
    Russ

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Terry Kerr
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Olphartz
    Engines: Twin 2001 6BTAs

Really good info

I’ll order the $40 ones. Appreciate the response.

russkarns
    Participant

I changed out the auto $85 version for the manual $40 version for a couple of reasons. First, as my original post asked, one of mine failed and does not reseal at 2-3 psi but is stuck open. Second, I now know what is being drained off. Nothing in the way of water has drained out yet, but if it does I can see what it is and amount.
    Oddly enough, both myself and the other boat we were on a extended trip with had an auto valve fail within a couple days of each other.
    Russ

Terry Kerr
    Participant

See pic below

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

I am personally not into after drains at all….The “history of this is very complex and even has “warranty politics /lawyers involved” ………… But with that said, send me the links to what you are are looking at————————-I am not always current on what we sell..

Terry Kerr
    Participant

Which drain plug is the best way to go?

I have my after coolers off at the moment. The drain plug looks like the cheap $10 ones you have listed for sale.

You have two other types. One for $85 and one for $40. The $40 one looked like the smarter choice, but now reading this thread, it appears that the $85 one might drain itself at low speeds and then reseal at 2-3 psi?

Either way I don’t want to keep the cheap $10 ones on there.

Suggestions?

russkarns
    Participant

Thanks so much for the reply Tony. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer and the advice.
    Russ

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Yes, they can drip /leak at low speeds–They are suppose to seal when the boost gets about 2-3 PSI or so.. Can they fail? Of course.. Use 1/4″ valve and drain after each trip is a good solution

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.