• Creator
    Topic

Richard Sosdorf
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Jenny Matt
    Engines: Cummings 370B

Pulled after coolers, heat exchangers and oil coolers on my 370Bs.   Cooler cores where easily removed, pushed out by hand with no effort.   There was corrosion and more than I was hoping to see on the port cooler.  I cleaned everything up and have a couple
    of question.  

After sanding the cooler housing does it need to be perfectly smooth (see picture) and does it have be re coated.  Not sure if the black finish is a coating or anodized.  

The core has some heavy corrosion, what can do I with it.  

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

On both cores dry fit them in the housings, center them with even amount protruding through the housing at both ends,  and look at where the o-rings sit, that is the sealing surface area that you need to get smooth.  If brazed, machining should not be required, you can use the housing for checking fit as you sand smooth.

Richard Sosdorf
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Jenny Matt
    Engines: Cummings 370B

Rob thanks for the response.  The motors are 2009 370B’s and have about 1100 hours.    The coolers were last serviced about 400 hours ago (3-4 years).  They were  serviced by a very knowledgeable previous owner.  Motors are used in salt water and I do not have a fresh water flush.  Attached are a few pictures of the starboard core.  This one has one small area  of pitting  do you think this should be filled also.

If I get the areas brazed will I need to get them machined or can the areas be sanded smooth.   

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

The housing looks fine. Those small corrosion deficits in the housing can be smeared/filled with alco metalube. The black finish is an e-coat that is applied in them manufacturing process “intended” to combat corrosion.  No need to worry about that, just smear with the grease and service every couple/three years.

Some, but not all, of that core end pitting will effect the sealing surface.  Could be reviewed for possible brazing if you have someone capable to bring it to…  From what I can see the finned area looks real good.

Tell us more about the aftercoolers – What year/era engines?  How many years in service?  Fresh or salt? F/W Flushing? Service history?  By whom? etc etc

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.