• Creator
    Topic

Michael Black
    Participant
    Vessel Name: finatic
    Engines: 6BTA

I have a pair of Aetna Tachs on my 6 BTA with hour meters. from Aetna Engineering. The hour meters are badly out of sync – Over 100 hrs. I have never run one motor independently of the other. One runs markedly faster than the other. Certainly an issue with the tachs themselves. I have swapped them out from port engine to starboard and the fast one runs fast no matter.
    This certainly is a minor issue, lets call it a source of irritation more than anything else.

So I have two questions: 1. anything I can do to make adjustments that would alleviate this issue to make the hour meters run true, 2. any way I can run the hour meter on the slow one to cath up with the fast one?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Great tachs, crappy hourmeters, crappy support. 1 outta 3 is not good!

Going forward I would opt for non-hourmeter Aetna’s and go with Hobbs Quartz Hour Meters…

Michael Black
    Participant
    Vessel Name: finatic
    Engines: 6BTA

Aetna Tachs ā€“ The Downside

Hey Rob, thanks for the comments, actually I thought I was experiencing a problem that was mine, with a few exceptions.
    I know all about Aetna, I tried to get them to take care of the problem in the past but they would not help. Basically unresponsive to any customer satisfaction, your comments add fuel to this comment. I sent the tachs back to them and they told me they were fine???

so to answer your question the 80 + hr error took about 3000 hrs to get to. I guess nothing for me to do from this point but view it as a source of irratation and bear with it.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Aetna Tachs – The Downside

Yup, you are not alone with hour meter issues with the Aetna’s. My last boat I had a single screw so tough to judge, I never “clocked” it. My current twin screw boat has 724hrs on one Aetna and 730hrs on the other. The Cummins VDO’s that were removed at ~650hrs were nearly identical on the hours. As you stated, it’s definitely in the head unit(s) so swapping sides is not a solution. Unfortunately the answers to your #1 and #2 are no and no and a 3rd no is that Aetna cannot (or will not) adjust them either. All they will do is reset ’em to zero.

Yours are out way more than mine — when were they installed and how many hours did it take for them to have a 100hr delta between them?? That is significant and maybe Aetna will do something for you? I would call them and see where it goes. Do keep us posted..

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.