• Creator
    Topic

Jeff Pollard
    Participant

I’ve been going thru this new to me engine over the winter. Getting the core out of the aftercooler took some doing. I had to have a “press plate” made that was slightly small in diameter than the housing inner diameter. Then I heated the whole assembly some with an IR heater, and proceeded to push it out with a shop press. This was after soaking each end in acetone and ATF for weeks while I waited for the press plate. Once it broke free it came out without too much resistance.

Now that it’s out, I’m finding quite a bit of deep pitting on the inside of the case. I’m hoping it will still seal up okay. What do the experts think? Should I keep going with this case, or declare defeat and replace the whole unit?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

From what I see, the unit is totally serviceable is assembled properly.

Steven F
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Extremes
    Engines: Yanmar 6lya-ste

Did you ever come up with a solution to the cooler housing. I have the same engine and took the core out this weekend and my housing has two very small areas that are pitted. I called yanmar a new housing was around $2,000 not including the core or the end caps.

Steve

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Not enough pics of every sealing surface to make a call.. Plus, no clue as to your capabilities to understand what would need to be done to “salvage” correctly.

Have you priced a new unit ?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.