• Creator
    Topic

Richard Janek
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Sparrow
    Engines: 6CTA8.3

Hello, does anyone know about the fuel filter nipple on the 6C?  I have twin 6CTA8.3 M2’s and both fuel filter nipples are very difficult to attach a new filter. What I mean, is that the nipple screws into the head as you tighten the fuel filter, if you are not careful, you only have a few threads holding the filter on. Something seems incorrect. Thanks, Richard

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Clark Leighs
    Participant

I am not an expert but have changed other filters numerous times.  Never had that nipple come out.

That nipple should be permanently installed  in the filter head.   It should not be coming out with the filter. 

I think I would test the thread engagement after the nipple is installed in the head by running the filter onto it. 

If OK then pull the nipple and if need be use some Loctite BNLUE, 242 and no more. Be sure the threads on the nipple and in the filter head are clean and free of fuel.   Brake Clean  spray would be good.     Spray the nipple to clean out on the dock, not inside.    You won’t have much choice with the filter head threads but outside soak a paper towel  or two and then wipe out the filter head threads carefully. Once clean then apply the Loctite blue.    You should NOT need much.  Install the nipple into the filter head and snug it.    

A last caution,  Brake Cleaner  is a good cleaner, but not nice for you so be carefull.                     

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.